Older toilet problems

876 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by G. hirsutum Ag
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like my older toilet is starting to get clogged a lot more easily than it used to. I'm able to keep it running but get tired of snaking the drain every three days. Part of the problem is 4 YO using too much TP but I think the bigger issue is build up over the years. Pretty sure this one was put in with the house 16 years. I snaked it 4-5 times yesterday and was getting rust deposits and other buildup coming back but it didn't make much difference. Is there something I can do to get it running like new?
The Fife
Are you snaking the actual toilet, or the pipe that the toilet drains into? With toilets there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong when it comes to drains. It's basically a foot of glazed porcelain pipe with a built in trap.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I have one of the commode snakes that is 3' or so that I run thru the bowl. Haven't pulled the toilet and gone that route
Dr. Venkman
AG
Had this problem. Snaked it several times (25' snake), but didn't seem to help. Ended up pulling the toilet and found a feminine product lodged at the bottom of the toilet p trap. Snake must have just gone right past it.
The Fife
Yup, I'd recommend pulling the toilet to check things out. Don't bother with a wax seal when you replace it, get one of the new kind of seals instead. They seem to work pretty well and allow removal and reinstallation later if the problem persists.
will.mcg
AG
One of my renters was moving out & said "oh by the way that one toilet seemed to clog easily so I just always used the other one." Okay I think, before I go to the trouble of taking the toilet up I make myself a short "snake" with a hook out of coat hanger. I fish out a little kids tooth brush. She didn't have kids, hmm, must have been from about two renters previous. Toilet has worked fine since then.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Let's just say I got funky with the snake and think I got the culprit out. Hopefully that works. Plastic dental pick
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.