Shower flooding caused by other shower renovation?

1,686 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigNastyNate
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We recently had our hall bath redone. When it was redone, we had plumbing issues with the tub that led to the drain pipes under the house being replaced. The plumber replaced collapsed lead pipe (from 1970) with pvc and he said he connected it to clear pipe.

Since then, our master bath shower has started draining increasingly slower, to where it now the water gets ankle high after a short shower. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since they finished the hall bath. I've tried Draino, but it made no difference.

Any chance that fixing the hall bath drainage screwed up the master shower drainage? That's what it obviously seems like, but I'm clueless with these things. Anything I should try or know before calling the plumber out to look at our shower? I might call the GC (different guy than plumber) to take a look and see what he thinks, but I wanted to ask the all knowing TexAgs first.
Post removed:
by user
Quinn
AG
Think I'm going to get a camera to have a look. It drained perfectly fine until Work was done on the other shower drainage, so I'm convinced it's related to that.

Would you have the same plumber come out or get someone new to take a look?
Post removed:
by user
Quinn
AG
If it is just a hair clog, what's the fix for that?
Foamcows
AG
going out on a limb here... but i would think a 20 dollar snake would be the fix
YellAg2004
AG
Any chance they didn't reconnect the vent line(s) when they replaced the lines under the house?
The Fife
That's a possibility, but ideally the tub would be vented before the pipe got under the house.

For something that gets progressively worse my vote is on a clog. Might as well try a snake before breaking out the expensive option (plumber).
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
THis little tool works great for close up hair clogs..

I'm with others to go the clog route, try this tool, a snake before calling a plumber. Worst case you spend $25 and 30 mins of time.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Quinn
AG
So use that tool to clean up the hair clog if that's the problem?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
It works fine for small clogs close to the drain and is simple to use. It's not the end all be all, but for simple clogs right below the drain it works great.

A good snake is what's needed for deeper clogs down the line.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Quinn
AG
I've ordered a camera and will report back with my findings.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Start cheap and work your way up.

I've had a slow shower that wouldn't open with drain cleaner, so I blasted it open with a few good pumps of a plunger.

If that doesn't work, then move up to snake, then start thinking of hiring a professional.
Foamcows
AG
sounds like someone wanted an excuse to get a camera...
Quinn
AG
Nah, I really did not since I have no use for it and I'm pissed bc I think it's related to the other bathroom work. Hope that everyone is right and that it's just a hair blockage, tho.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
If only there was a relatively cheap way to solve the issue.

Doesn't matter, you now have a camera to visually confirm!
BigNastyNate
AG
Go lookup Crystal Lye... it's extremely effective. I believe it's probably dangerous, but extremely effective. You literally just put a cup of the lye down the drain, pour on boiling water, and then it dissolves the hair, soap scum, etc... super cheap as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.