Solotube?

2,375 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by shalackin
redag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any experience with having a solotube or similar product installed ?

We have no natural light in our master bathroom, and considering installing one with the exhaust vent, when we get our roof redone soon.
howdydamnit04
AG
I apparently need to get out in the natural light more often because the thread title and body did not match up the way I was expecting.
RK
AG
don't act like you've never thought about putting a solotube in your exhaust vent.
Satellite of Love
My inlaws have a few similar products through out their home and I like them. They put off a ton of light during the day and on nights with enough moon light, they light up the room at night.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
I had two installed last year in areas of the house that don't get much natural light. They work great. I've been pleased.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Corps_Ag12
AG
WhoopRAB said:

My in laws have a couple. Good lighting but water leaks have been an issue

This. Installed some on a commercial building and they seem to leak every few months. They're always back there replacing ceiling tiles and water testing the roof.
redag06
Bad install, or is it the product?

Corps_Ag12
AG
Bit of both, i presume. The domes just won't seal right on the roof to the trim ring. They say they don't require caulking or silicon, but the only way to get them to stop leaking was to back out the screws holding the trim ring, silicon the crap out of it, then screw it back down while still wet. That seemed to have helped a lot.

The other part was probably a bad tpo roof detail install at the domes.
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
I haven't had any leaks with mine.
Vivificus
AG
Do you like to sleep past sunrise or nap during the day? Natural sunshine can be a pita.
Viv
redag06
Unless it was a rough night, I don't usually sleep on the bathroom floor
Vivificus
AG
Missed what room it was in. You may have to keep the bathroom door closed to keep it dark though.
Viv
shalackin
AG
We recommend tubes when clients start talking skylights. Skylights suck. Tubes are much better if you have to have something. Our first suggestion is the fewer penetrations in your roof the better. Then we move to tubes. And then as a last resort skylights.

Just make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing install them. Use Ice/Water Shield and Silicone where needed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.