Adding Second Floor?

16,551 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by notheranymore
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
(Garage Apartment Protected)

Since this has become an option we're actually exploring in detail I decided to make this its own thread because the whole process is a little complicated and besides RTT's thread I don't think it's ever really been done here. Our neighbor across the street is a builder and civil engineer who did this and a whole lot more 7 or 8 years ago, and when I asked his thoughts on the thing and he said it basically comes down to whether the foundation and lower walls will be able to support the weight. So it looks like I get to go have fun in the crawlspace measuring and making a drawing of everything down there this afternoon.

Why are we even thinking about doing this? In a nutshell, our place is big but the layout is really bad. Due to the fact that it was added on to twice there's really only so much you can do even if you tear everything out and start over, and the results would not be great (we looked into this 5 years ago). A teardown would also not have been cost effective and it would have also thrown out things that we liked. Due to location we have zero plans of moving.

Benefits? Picking up a room that can be closed off for kid stuff/toys/my games is a big one. Sound carries way too well in our place and there is nowhere for kids to go when we have people over. Wife gets a room that's completely hers to do crafts and whatever she wants instead of sharing it with a small guest bedroom. Kids bedrooms as-is are also poorly laid out due to door, closet and window locations, and one of them has about a 4x4 notch taken out of a corner for a coat closet that we get a lot of use out of. Storage has been a huge issue, besides what I've added there is next to none anywhere. Laundry goes upstairs, master closet storage increases by 50%.

There's also a decent view towards the river and downtown so I made a 2nd floor terrace on the model that looks out in that direction. Curb appeal would be greatly improved - if this project doesn't happen there would be another one at some point to take care of roof structure issues (bad tie-ins between original vs. existing additions and an overall shape that does not drain well) and hopefully change its shape to something that looks decent.

Beyond what I'm working on we had two additional projects planned. One was the roof thing which I hoped would be 5-8 years from now depending on overall condition, the other is the den/dining room that I was hoping would happen next year. I was already going to work with a designer or architect on both and the work was going to be contracted out. With this everything would be done at once, and I wouldn't spend a chunk of next year working joist, subfloor and flooring issues on bedrooms that wouldn't be that great after the project was done.

The biggest drawback is that it's a bit more space being added than we know what to do with (media room, anyone?). No clue what cost would be and how the original part of the place was built could derail everything.

Anyway here are a couple of pictures... the unfinished Sketchup model and one of the houses that I based a few things off of.

sts7049
AG
let the fun begin
greenman99
AG
I am in the process of adding a second floor. We are slab on grade and only had to put in 4 piers where the garage wall was already moving before construction. We did have to open some interior walls to add framing at the bearing points. With lvls and joist it is pretty easy to span existing rooms. We went over the garage, kitchen and living room and only have three point loads inside the house that are located in existing walls.
Kenneth_2003
AG
The Fife
Thanks, that's helpful feedback! What is the size of the second floor? We're on pier and beam and we're looking at 62x23.

Outside walls on the 1st floor won't be going anywhere and there are only two large openings that a second floor exterior wall would continue over. One spans about 28' with a column 11' from one end due to a point load. The span is supported by four massive LVLs (two side by side) and the column is also a laminated beam. The second opening is about 14' with two columns (dining room/garage turned den that was opened up in 1970). Since both of those rooms are being redone anyway they can do whatever is needed without causing any headaches. Interior walls... who knows without having a floorplan.

Who did you or the builder talk to first about the project? An architect/designer, civil engineer or someone else? I'm not sure which one would come first.
p_bubel
I'd take a look around the neighborhood to see what price per square foot the larger homes are going for.
There's a diminishing return usually. And I would want to double check the math first.

If it's much more than the cost, then the decision gets a little easier.

Secondly, are you prepared to move out of the home for the 8 to 12 months the construction can take? A reno this large would be hard to live with.

The sketch-up looks like it could be a cool space.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I want to do this, but on my garage (garage apartment for MiL, if needed).

So interested as well.

~egon
greenman99
AG
The addition is 48 x 35 but only part of it is over the existing house the rest is a over the patio and driveway. We have three 24" deep x 48' lvls laminated together sitting on three steel post on the edge of the driveway and patio. Our first step was the architect then between a foundation engineer, structural engineer and the lumber yard they were able to spec the floor system and even removed a post from the patio.
The Fife
p_bubel said:

I'd take a look around the neighborhood to see what price per square foot the larger homes are going for.
There's a diminishing return usually. And I would want to double check the math first.

If it's much more than the cost, then the decision gets a little easier.

Secondly, are you prepared to move out of the home for the 8 to 12 months the construction can take? A reno this large would be hard to live with.

The sketch-up looks like it could be a cool space.
On sale prices I'm in luck because the people across the street listed theirs high last summer just to see if there were any takers. With the hypothetical addition and their recent actual one our place and theirs would be within 200 sq ft of each other, and the neighbor mentioned what a couple of the offers were so I have a pretty good idea about the $/sq ft on that end. ($164/sq ft)

And on the other end of the equation I just heard back from a builder I know, and his estimate without knowing specifics was $125-150/sq ft. So it works out $14-39/sq ft in the favor of adding on at this point anyway.

We're prepared to live somewhere else for 8-12 months if it really came to it - we have a rental that the tenant is moving out from at the beginning of February.

Since cost is looking plausible I need to check out our foundation and get a good drawing of how that's set up, and keep building on to our model.
notheranymore
<popcorn face>
Picard
AG
Señor Chang
AG
Watchlisted
Guitarsoup
AG
We just got our permits from City of Houston.

Building a 30x30 second floor over my 23x23 detached garage with an additional 8x30 of balcony over the driveway. Because of a stupid aerial easement (no power lines exist there) we had to shift everything forward ~6'.

So we will have a 900sf room and 30x20 covered parking..

But wait, COH would not approve it at 30x30. Had to shave 4" off one wall because they said Max 899sf for the structure for no real reason.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Could you leave it at 30x30 and just sound proof inside (drywall | studs and insulation | air gap | studs and insulation | exterior plywood or OSB | brick or siding)? You might lose a few more square feet than you want to but sound won't get in or out.
Guitarsoup
AG
Nope. COH was very clear we needed to make it smaller. So it is now 30'x29'8

905sf =. Illegal
898.5sf = legal
Gary79Ag
AG
I'm totally in...

Aggietaco
AG
Looking forward to seeing this develop.

I'd visit with an architect first and have them recommend an engineer. You doing a lot of the leg work, exploration, and documentation will be helpful for the feasibility review, but I'd make sure that your design team is on the hook for actual dimensions.
The Fife
Absolutely - I've been running around with the tape measure mostly to see whether this was even feasible and what we would actually do with the space in a way that's not dissimilar with how the existing house is being used. Any civil engineer that's going to put their stamp on this place is going to want to get their own measurements anyway.

Right now I'm playing the waiting game after calling / emailing a couple of architects. Besides having a small builder take care of some termite issues that came up with a rental I don't have any experience with this sort of thing. Or have any kind of clue how to pick an architect beyond which plan or idea we like better.

I have the contact info for a third at work that I forgot to bring home. Maybe things will pick up, otherwise at this point I'm organizing idea pictures that I have saved up. I've been told that it might help to organize them on Pinterest or Instagram. If I sign up for either I'll post a link.
The Fife
I've been talking to a couple of architects ahead of on-site visits next week, which has the added benefit of really getting a handle on the scope of work. These two pictures sum it all up between repairs, modifications, and additions.

Budget has been a topic of conversation. Ideally the addition part could be done for $200K or less, the remainder for $75K or less. Until someone is able to come over and see what things look like anything addition-related is a great big unknown in terms of cost and whether or not it's even feasible. Between the way the original house was built and the early 2000s addition, loading on what would be the rear wall of the 2nd floor is interesting to say the least. I could make a simple sketch if anyone is curious, I'd love to hear thoughts on that.

The pool is the biggest thing we could lose and mentally it's already out of the picture. It would be great but given how little we go to the pool up the street it just doesn't isn't worth it. Garage mods and repairs need to happen badly, and we can't forgo having someone smarter than me figure out this whole dining room/den mess along with somehow connecting that to the back yard.

The contingency plan if the addition just isn't feasible is to have the den pull triple duty between being a place connected to the back yard area, game room, and craft area for the wife but making it look good is a tall order. The roof over the proposed addition area absolutely needs something done to it because there is zero curb appeal right now and it's a maintenance nightmare due to its shape. Front yard-facing windows could be improved upon as well.
Gary79Ag
AG
Man, I'm NEVER adding a tankless water heater to my house...nope, not gonna happen!
p_bubel
Do you have a floor plan layout?

By the way, you're insane. :P
Guitarsoup
AG
Thought we were done with permitting.

COH sent it back and demanded that our architect draw where on the plans we would install a Carbon Monoxide detector.
The Fife
p_bubel said:

Do you have a floor plan layout?

By the way, you're insane. :P
Sort of. I have what I believe is a solid idea for where the stairs would go, for example. At the front of the house you have two choices - formal living room on the right or a bedroom/coat closet on the left, and the stairs would take the majority of both of these two rooms. Take the formal living room and the leftover space from the living room would be useless since it can't be combined with anything adjacent. Take the bedroom with a notch taken out for a coat closet, and the leftover space can join an adjacent bedroom that right now is too small. You can put a really nice looking staircase there with an open area that pendant-style lighting can be hung down into. It would look really cool indoors and from the street.

Upstairs, hell if I know. If this project is even somehow possible my thoughts are to put the game room off to the left side near the terrace since that direction is where the opportunity exists for a pretty decent view with some tree and shrub removal. I'm open to expanding a second floor beyond the first floor footprint and that's really where the architect earns their keep here. Between this and the den, I have yet to come up with a way to really make it work.

This weekend I'm doing a LOT of cleanup and organizing everywhere since people are coming over next week. The architect I met at a game watching party a couple of weeks ago got back with me yesterday so it looks like that makes three.
FDXAg
AG
In
The Fife
I was able to finally talk with architect #1 yesterday and their guess of what adding about 1,300 sq ft as a 2nd floor would cost was over double what I heard from someone else earlier at $300/sq ft. It's not gospel, but this would completely change the math and I'm working on a backup plan that would address the core of the issues we have with the place without a 2nd floor.

The easy part is adding some kind of game room/place for kids to go do their thing without being loud or disruptive to anyone. It's almost sacrilege but our garage is extremely oversized and we would just build into that space. There's more than one way to do that without sacrificing any utility in there beyond the ability to store things we don't need like paint that came with the house. It's hard to explain without a picture but because the garage is open to the rafters and the rest of the house is 2' higher than the floor we might pick up storage up high for luggage and Halloween/Christmas decorations.

The ugly roofline part is much harder and is the kind of place where one again an architect would be useful. I've been trying to come up with ideas for years and haven't thought of much yet.
The Fife
Last time I checked in it looked like a second floor was out of the running.

The other two architects I've talked to indicate that my original budget value looks very plausible and should be able to get a better idea after coming over here. One of them (Ag, '94) I'm hoping will be able to make it this weekend. The other on Tuesday afternoon. The Ag would be doing it after hours/moonlighting and the other person does this full time in addition to a little realty.

To prepare a little more I made a diagram of where all of the piers under the house are in addition to a very accurate floorplan of what's here now including windows. Not knowing what's ahead is the biggest hassle at this point but hopefully everything will start to clear up soon.

agracer
AG
The Fife said:

I was able to finally talk with architect #1 yesterday and their guess of what adding about 1,300 sq ft as a 2nd floor would cost was over double what I heard from someone else earlier at $300/sq ft. It's not gospel, but this would completely change the math and I'm working on a backup plan that would address the core of the issues we have with the place without a 2nd floor.

The easy part is adding some kind of game room/place for kids to go do their thing without being loud or disruptive to anyone. It's almost sacrilege but our garage is extremely oversized and we would just build into that space. There's more than one way to do that without sacrificing any utility in there beyond the ability to store things we don't need like paint that came with the house. It's hard to explain without a picture but because the garage is open to the rafters and the rest of the house is 2' higher than the floor we might pick up storage up high for luggage and Halloween/Christmas decorations.

The ugly roofline part is much harder and is the kind of place where one again an architect would be useful. I've been trying to come up with ideas for years and haven't thought of much yet.
no, no it's not....
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Which parts of the house have been renovated/are currently under renovation?
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I said it in the other thread, and I'll repeat it here: this is insanity.

Hell, I can't even get a master bath reno going...
The Fife
Architect #1 comes by this afternoon and #2 tomorrow so I'll get clarity with where things are going soon.

Renovation work followed areas that share a common floor structure.
2013-2014:
Formal LR and entry
Kitchen (from pantry adjacent to Bath 2 all the way to Formal Dining)
Informal Dining
Family Room including joists under Half Bath (was random dartboard area at the time)

2015-2016
Master Bedroom, Bath, Closets
Media Closet
1/2 Bath

Hallway (joist work + subfloor)
Bath 2 (done minus countertop)
Bedrooms 2-4 were not started since either option with this project may cause rework

If a 2nd floor happens I think 2x6s can be sistered in to walls as needed without disrupting renovated areas too much. The exterior wall in the formal living room is an exception, but the only reason (vinyl) grasscloth wallpaper is on there is because the original drywall was textured and it was cheaper/easier to do that than to skim coat the entire thing smooth. The wall between there and the kitchen rests on a beam so if 2x6s need to go in I don't see why they couldn't do it from the living room side, and the other side of the kitchen is open with some massive LVLs that went in 4 years ago. The wall between bedroom 2/3 and the hall is on top of another beam and they can do whatever there.

RE: Garage sizing, the biggest problem taking space from would cause is that's where I was planning on putting the cab, bed and whatever while restoring my F-100 (frame and buildup area would be in the middle bay with a hydraulic lift). The garage ceiling is 14-15' and I wouldn't build a game room up that high, I would have strong enough ceiling joists to be able to deck them with plywood and put decorations/luggage/whatever up there. No net loss of storage space but a reduction in awesomeness.
The Fife
Maximus_Meridius said:

I said it in the other thread, and I'll repeat it here: this is insanity.

Hell, I can't even get a master bath reno going...
I've got BSC in spades. One of the benefits of going either way with this project was that I would be done. Finished. No more house stuff, I can go bike again after work and get back in shape. Finally restore the truck. Instead if it'll make or break a 2nd floor we decided that we can handle a lot of finish and trim work (wallpaper, flooring, hanging doors, bathrooms). That's the kind of thing I rip through pretty fast; what really bogs things down is fixing 60 years of structural and utility repairs by previous owners. Bad joists, unvented plumbing, ungrounded, undersized wire repaired with dried out duct tape.
p_bubel
Honestly with the garage, assuming you don't convert the entirety of it, you're only gaining another oddly positioned closed off room.
AgLA06
AG
I personally think you should add another family / den room to the house. 3 is not enough.

In all seriousness, is there a practical reason to not repurpose one of those rooms to an office, make a media room, or expand the kitchen?
p_bubel
How about swapping the formal dining room into what is not the formal living space ( a space most people have no more use for) and taking the old dining room and making that the kids play room? Closing it mostly off from the kitchen/new dining area. You could even open it up further to the den if you wanted.
Gary79Ag
AG
AgLA06 said:

I personally think you should add another family / den room to the house. 3 is not enough.

In all seriousness, is there a practical reason to not repurpose one of those rooms to an office, make a media room, or expand the kitchen?
I personally think Fife should add another tankless water heater myself...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.