Need help installing exterior doors

616 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by will.mcg
nomadic_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need removals and install of 2 prehung exterior doors inside the loop in Houston.

TIA
Long Live Sully
AG
Are you needing help or advice?
nomadic_ag
AG
I'm needing work done.

I tried installing one of the doors and ran into problems when the door couldn't be both plumb and flush with the wall. The wall is leaning slightly so the door had to be installed vertically plumb. I think. This left a hap between the jamb and the trim.
Long Live Sully
AG
Got it.. I can't help with any thoughts except I would get the wall right first if you can.
nomadic_ag
AG
That's my fear. Thanks.
03_Aggie
nomadic_ag said:

I'm needing work done.

I tried installing one of the doors and ran into problems when the door couldn't be both plumb and flush with the wall. The wall is leaning slightly so the door had to be installed vertically plumb. I think. This left a hap between the jamb and the trim.

Was there a gap with the old door? You don't have to have a plumb wall, you need a framing square, shims and 3" screws.

Shim it out, checking your corners with the square, and start to start snugging it up with screws (again checking the corners with the square). If there's a large gap between framing and casing then fill it with some expanding foam (the version for doors and windows.

If the gap is two big for brick mold to cover then rip some 1xs wide enough to cover it and attach the brick mold on top of it.
Long Live Sully
AG
All correct but if I have an exterior wall that is not plumb I want to fix it if possible. Or at least understand the cause.
nomadic_ag
AG
Thanks for the response.

There was not a gap, but the door would not shut and would swing wide open as soon as the deadbolt was opened. It was leaning inside the house. I found that at the base, it is flush with the drywall. About halfway up the door, the drywall and jamb begin separating. At the top of the door, there is a half inch gap. The door shuts fine now, just a tad bit of sunlight in the reveal in the bottom right, lockside of the door. There's just that gap between the drywall and the jamb. The corners are square, the jamb is both horizontally and vertically plumb.
03_Aggie
Cow Hop Ag said:

All correct but if I have an exterior wall that is not plumb I want to fix it if possible. Or at least understand the cause.

Assuming it's always been that way, just hide the bad work like they originally did.
03_Aggie
Consider it an opportunity to add some nice interior molding around the door. It's what we had to do at our old house for very similar reasons.
Long Live Sully
AG
No kidding.. I cringe when I see what is out there.
will.mcg
AG
Does your fire tag have something to do with Bonfire?
Long Live Sully
AG
will.mcg said:

Does your fire tag have something to do with Bonfire?

No. TexAgs BBQ team from many years ago. We competed in the first yell cook off and we won it.
will.mcg
AG
Freakin sweet
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.