Recommendations - contractor or individual contributors - Allen

727 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HCS
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We want to renovate a few things in our home. I don't know if I should find individual contractors for each piece, or am I looking to do enough that I should look at a remodeling service/contractor.

Here's what we want to do (approximately), please give some feedback on specialty providers or contractors, etc.

Background: the home is 7 years old and some things just need to be updated. Some of these were budget cuts from the original build, some normal wear and tear, some are "F it, if we're doing work, let's take care of X".

In no particular order...

1. Replace carpet and padding on 1st floor of house.

Master, master closet, study, dining room. We would consider wood/tile as replacements for some of these.

2. Replace existing granite counter tops in kitchen w/updated granite/stone/whatever.

We never liked the santa cecilia we got from the builder. by SC standards it was fine, but it's the first thing to go. We'd want to replace the kitchen countertops. Our preference would be to keep the existing silgranite sink (can you replace the countertops and maintain the undercount sink?).

3. Replace some/all kitchen appliances. At a minimum we'd replace our gas cooktop (possibly vent fan), and dishwasher.. We might include the double oven and microwave in the process.

4. Electrical - there are a few areas of the home we'd love to have power outlets and possibly switches to them. The locations have access to nearby lights and/or existing power outlets, so power is already nearby.

5. Move speaker wire

Run existing speaker connection down a wall that has an angled ceiling and repair the drywall from the cuts necessary to do this.

6. Significant interior painting - we do most of our interior painting, but we have a 2 story entry-way and 12ft LR ceilings. We'd want someone to paint those rooms and a few others we've previously painted that lead from them.

Individually these aren't contractor type projects. As a whole, should I look at a contractor? Do you have recommendations for a contractor or individuals in the Plano/Allen area to do counters/appliances, carpet/flooring, and electrical work?

Thanks!

03_Aggie
Adam Ag 98 said:

1. Replace carpet and padding on 1st floor of house.

good chance wherever you buy your flooring from will have installers. I think carpet usually prices including install.

2. Replace existing granite counter tops in kitchen w/updated granite/stone/whatever.

id your wanting some more exotic than SC the find a wholesale granite yard where you can look at full slabs as opposed to places that have a chunk of granite. Most require a contractor to purchase the slabs but they'll also have a list of those if you want to choose one through them.

3. Replace some/all kitchen appliances. At a minimum we'd replace our gas cooktop (possibly vent fan), and dishwasher.. We might include the double oven and microwave in the process.

if you're purchasing locally the whoever you buy from (HD, Lowes, Best Buy) will offer installation and haul away of old appliances.

4. Electrical - there are a few areas of the home we'd love to have power outlets and possibly switches to them. The locations have access to nearby lights and/or existing power outlets, so power is already nearby.

Electrician

5. Move speaker wire

Run existing speaker connection down a wall that has an angled ceiling and repair the drywall from the cuts necessary to do this.

DIY? Worse case, have the electrician do it. Not sure what type of Sheetrock damage would be done or need to be repaired?

6. Significant interior painting - we do most of our interior painting, but we have a 2 story entry-way and 12ft LR ceilings. We'd want someone to paint those rooms and a few others we've previously painted that lead from them.

worse case go to sherwin williams and ask for some referrals

Individually these aren't contractor type projects. As a whole, should I look at a contractor? Do you have recommendations for a contractor or individuals in the Plano/Allen area to do counters/appliances, carpet/flooring, and electrical work?

Thanks!

HCS
Disclaimer: I'm a contractor.

These are all tasks that can easily be contracted by a homeowner. It is as difficult to find a good general contractor as it is good subcontractors. If you know a good one the advantages will be:
  • Convenience
  • Well vetted workforce
  • Expert advice
  • Improved cleanliness
  • better schedule
  • Proper insurance

No doubt you will pay more for those advantages but if time is short and calling subcontractors who have not shown up or not done a good job is not something you want to hassle with then you want a contractor. Keep in mind, many contractors will not take small projects.

Good luck!

Hugh Stearns
Stearns Design Build
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.