Inspector Said I May Need to Talk to a Structural Engineer?

2,187 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgLA06
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't know any personally, but based on what you described I'd go ahead and do it because there's really no downside. Either you'll get peace of mind and a good explanation for what's going on if it comes up again in the future if you sell, or you'll possibly avoid a huge headache and disclosure.
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
That's absolutely the right type. Much better than someone who has an interest in selling people foundation work.
FTAG 2000
AG
Definitely. Structural engineer pays for itself.
El Chupacabra
Do it...and listen.

We had a structural engineer come out and take a look at our house. He had some concerns, but we didn't listen as well as we should have (plus we didn't have full information, sellers 'hid' some things and didn't disclose some things) and now we're dealing with those issues.
HCS
A good structural engineer is worth it. We have seen those who are gifted and creating mountains out of molehills. If you have a 4' level walk around with it and check plumb and level at windows, doors, and corners inside the house.

Also, close interior doors and from the hinge side look at the reveals (the small space between the door and the jamb. Is it fairly consistent all the way around? Does it look like doors have been planed to fit into the opening? Does it look like they recently patched and painted drywall that may have been cracked?

I am in no way discouraging a structural engineer. But it might be worth some preliminary investigation of your own.

Hugh Stearns
Stearns Design Build
Post removed:
by user
HCS
It looks like all of these problems are failures caused by the mason. And likely have nothing to do with foundation movement.
Post removed:
by user
AW 1880
AG
When sailing a ship across the ocean, do you actually jettison the crap?
Post removed:
by user
bco2003
AG
Nice looking house.
txag2008
AG
Those foundation cracks are just 'corner popping'. It's typically considered a cosmetic, non structural issue. caused by expansion/contraction between the brick/mortar joint and the foundation. It's prevented by a moisture stop or flashing at the time of construction.

Now that it's already occurred, just keep an eye on it if it gets worse.
HCS
The corner pops happened because there was not a bond break between the brick and the concrete. The cracking at the windows looks like the mason cut the brick to fit around the window Lintel rather than placing it in a mortar joint.

The brick is veneer. It is like the skin on the house. You don't want water getting behind it and you don't want small amounts of movement from expansion and contraction to cause it to get worse.

Having said that let me also say that when I bought my house it was 100% brick veneer. It now has no brick on it. That is because I think that brick is a particularly bad choice for veneer in a hot humid climate.
The Fife
Weird... I agree on the corner pops FWIW but item E.1-4 I haven't seen before. It's almost like something swelled up inside there to crack the brick like that. Or like somebody said, maybe it could be bad brickwork. I'm no mason so I'm not sure.

Maybe bad masonry + thermal expansion and contraction somehow? Dunno the first thing about how you could even go about fixing that.
Post removed:
by user
carpe vinum
AG
Where yat? My bff is a structural eng. in Austin.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
Post removed:
by user
carpe vinum
AG
I could get him to look at pictures, but that's a bit too far to travel for freebies.
Sounds like it would be a good investment to get good reliable information.
Post removed:
by user
carpe vinum
AG
Still a good investment if there is a problem.
Post removed:
by user
03_Aggie
third coast.. said:

Concur, but he use good leaf paper

He doesn't like to write.
AgLA06
AG
03_Aggie said:

third coast.. said:

Concur, but he use good leaf paper

He doesn't like to write.

He doesn't like to seal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.