Venting a washing machine drain

2,689 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sooo. Bought a new (to us) home and moved in Labor Day weekend. House is an older home ( built 1966). Most stuff is updated however I am finding a few things that either previous owners ignored or were just dumb and fixed improperly. Main thing is the washing machine drain. I am currently having to drain into my backyard/driveway as the drain they have just backs up.

What I have learned is they installed a "genesis" valve. I have never heard of it but all the plumbers around here seem to know about them. Needless to say it's not working properly as the water keeps coming up over the valve and behind the wall.

here is a pic for reference:

I cut out a bit more just to see what else is behind wall:

Looks to just be the supply lines.

My question is this: can I go in, cut the pvc, add a p trap and then run a vertical vent line up the wall and out in an AAV (Cheater valve). Mentioned here: http://www.buellinspections.com/your-plumbing-system-should-not-pass-gas-indoors/

Or do I really have to run a stack vent all the way through the roof?
The Fife
If it's rated for a washing machine I don't see why you couldn't, but I'd at least want access to the thing in case it needs to be replaced later. Like some kind of small door maybe so you don't have to go through the drywall.
Gary79Ag
AG
The Fife said:

If it's rated for a washing machine I don't see why you couldn't, but I'd at least want access to the thing in case it needs to be replaced later. Like some kind of small door maybe so you don't have to go through the drywall.
I agree with Fife, especially regarding access to the AVV should it need to be checked and/or replaced. I've seen them used whereby the vent pipe extends up into the attic with the AVV installed up there for accessibility to it.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Thanks for the input. I was thinking about having it actually come out the wall about 2ft from the ceiling, would that effect its ability to vent properly if I have a the vent pipe make 2 90 degree turns to come out the wall?
Gary79Ag
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about having it actually come out the wall about 2ft from the ceiling, would that effect its ability to vent properly if I have a the vent pipe make 2 90 degree turns to come out the wall?
That would be fine...the number of 90 degree turns in the vent pipe have no affect on the AVV, the key is to have the AVV in the true vertical position for it to function properly as designed.
YellAg2004
AG
If you're going to go through the hassle of putting in the P-trap and doing everything else correctly, why not go the last 10% and just run the vent up through the roof? As others have pointed out, the AAV works (although not allowed in some jurisdictions), but having it 90 out of the wall below the ceiling would strike me as pretty ghetto. Are you doing that because this is on an exterior wall and you can't get to the top plate of the wall because of your roof line?

If you're committed to the AAV, just run it a couple of feet up and end it in the wall. Leave a hole in the sheetrock and cover it with a 12" x 12" return air grill. That way the AAV has free air flow, but is hidden and you can still access it should you ever need to.
Koko Chingo
AG
How far away is the washer from another vent? I do not know the code or rules; I believe under certain parameters you can have two drains share a vent.

If you meet the criteria, you could run your vent through celling and tie into an existing vent somewhere in the attic.

It seems you have an apprehension of putting a new opening in the roof. Is there a reason for that? Do you have a flat roof?

The part that goes on your roof that the pipe would stick through is called a Roof Jack, it may also be called vent and pipe flashing. They make them out of different types of plastic with rubber inserts that seal around the vent pipe.

There are a lot of good videos and article explain how to add a roof jack.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I've watched a few videos on how to add a vent through the roof and i think it is do-able, but my comfort level tackling that project is significantly less compared to working with Sheetrock and plumbing.

There is a vent for the kitchen sink pretty close, I haven't checked the city code yet on tying into that but that is a great idea if allowed and within code.

I will check on that too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.