Flag Pole Thoughts

2,743 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by kingj3
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm considering installing a flag pole at the front of my property. I'm tossing around a couple of options, would like some input from those who have put one in.

Thinking about installing the flagpole where my mailbox currently is (red arrow) and replacing my mailbox over at the blue arrow. Probably would make these two areas small flower beds and replace the sprinkler in that area with a drip line. Other thought is just to install the flagpole right behind the mailbox and upgrade the mailbox at the red arrow and put one small flowerbed there. Final option may be to install the flagpole closer to the home, but I personally would rather have it near the street.

So my questions are:
  • Any recommendations for a flagpole? Lots of options, lots of cost range. I want a quality one that will last, ideally a lit telescoping.
  • Any issues installing so close to the street?
  • Anyone put one so close to a mailbox?
  • Any recommendations for a height? Was considering 25'.

Thanks for the input and open to other feedback.
Potcake
AG
I've always wanted one too. However, where you are thinking may be in the ROW. So, there could be a time where you would have to remove it for any kind of city work wouldn't you?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Guess I didn't consider ROW. Not sure what type of work they would do there, though. A lot of people have trees in the ROW.
Potcake
AG
It probably varies from city to city.
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
Check with the City before you do anything. A flagpole went up in my neighborhood and came down within the week.
NCNJ1217
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Guess I didn't consider ROW. Not sure what type of work they would do there, though. A lot of people have trees in the ROW.
A few years back, the city water line sprung a leak in front of my house. They had to dig up the sidewalk and grass in the ROW to fix it.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I'll check with the city, but all our utilities are in the alley.
sts7049
AG
what about your HOA?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
No HOA, nor do the neighborhood deed restrictions prohibit flagpoles. The city doesn't require a permit either, just not sure about ROW.
southernboy1
AG
Flag poles that I've looked at are at least $400 and up. I used and old antenna pole I found in the back pasture. Works great for my needs. I only had to paint it.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Why not put the flag pole where the blue arrow is? And make a flower bed, seems like most efficient option... you wouldn't have to move mail box or re do a mailbox.

Also-- I would still check with the city, there is a reason mailboxes are made to break apart upon impact, the city may not want you putting an indestructible pole that close
To the steeet

ETA-- City probably maintains a 15 or so ft ROW. Even with out utilities out front, I would bet they keep an easement of some sort from the curb to other side of the sidewalk.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I'm already planning on upgrading the mailbox; it's got a lot of rust and is pretty cheap. We're going to put in a security box. As for location, the picture may not show it best, but the red arrow is the furthest from the trees, especially once the lacebark starts growing.

I've talked to a buddy who used to be with the city and I don't think it's gonna be an issue with the city being close to the street. I'll still check officially. That being said, I am thinking about putting in another ground sleeve, since it's just a piece of PVC, much closer to the house and I could choose either location. These telescopic poles are pretty easy to move when they're retracted.

I've done all the research and settled on this: 20' Telescopic. A little more expensive than most of the Amazon ones out there, but is 10 gauge aluminum (vs. 16) and the locking mechanism (for extending) is a lot better for longevity.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Just for kicks, here's both with MS Paint Edits to show a desired final product:

Near the house:

Near the street:

Probably will put a sleeve at both.
sts7049
AG
personally i think it looks better close to the house
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I like it against the house, too. I think it depends where you are standing, though. I think it'll be nice to have options.
ftworthag02
AG
I like closer to the house. Plus if anyone was to jump the curb or possibly back up too much, the flag pole is a goner
91AggieLawyer
AG
Put it near the house. It would be more safe, you'd have less chance of getting something on there jacked (or having something up there you don't want) and less of a risk of pissing off neighbors for whatever reason. The last one isn't a stand alone deal killer, but you know, harmony when you can...
BenTheGoodAg
AG
City said no on the Easement. I guess that makes this an easy decision.
Gary79Ag
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

City said no on the Easement. I guess that makes this an easy decision.
That's what I kinda expected...always good to check with the city first in situations like yours!

FYI, neighbor across the street planned to have an above ground pool installed in his side yard as his house is on large corner lot with little to no backyard. I told him he better check with the city before he proceeds to get city approvals/guidance, permits, etc. He said the pool installer would handle all of that and that they also told him he would not need a fence around the pool since the ladder was retractable. That was an immediate Red Flag to me! Everybody in the neighborhood was surprised he could do it and most, including us, were upset he was going to do it as we didn't want to see them swimming in their side yard!

Anyway, the pool installers started the installation on a Friday morning and said they'd be done in 3 hours. Turned out it was going in the same weekend we were having an open house for our old home across the street. Well, low and behold, someone called the city and the inspector arrived as they already had the pad graded and all the pool parts unpacked and they were in the process of assembling the pool. He told them that he was with the city and that they had to stop immediately as there were no permits pulled. He also proceeded to inform the owner that he couldn't put any pool in his side or front yard, only his back yard. He also informed the owner he couldn't install a covered gazebo in the front or side yard either, which is what the owner planned to do after the pool was installed.

Yes, the quiet and peaceful neighborhood is back to normal watching the owner install a pallet deck with a firepit instead in the pad area that the pool was to be. We'll take a deck with a firepit any day over watching them swim there!

Had the pool been installed, the city would have had them take it out at their own expense. So yes, it's good you checked with the city first!
moore42
AG
I used these from amazon and havent had any issues with them in 2.5 years. I only put them up to 20' tall, not 25. They have handled high winds during storms and i didnt bring the flags down.

I also use these lights from amazon and they are still working at 2.5 years old. Would definitely buy both again when I move.
agz win
AG
Are you planning on lighting the flag at night or are you taking it down each night? Others will notice and bring to your attention on the proper protocols.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Yes, I bought a light very similar to what moore42 shared
helgs
AG
I mean, there's no law about that. Flag Code is not law.
Pro Sandy
AG
helgs said:

I mean, there's no law about that. Flag Code is not law.
It is a law, just no penalties.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Finished product. I ended up moving to the other side of the sidewalk so that I could put the pole in the flowerbed and still fly at half mast (the other side is too close to the house).

And here's the mailbox if interested. I'm pretty pleased with my concrete work:

kingj3
AG
Have that same mailbox. The quality of the paint work is poor over time, but it's no big deal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.