What the hell is wrecking my lawn?

2,714 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Presley OBannons Sword
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have random yellow spots where the St Augustine randomly stopped growing, and the entire leaf has turned yellow and very thin. I've treated for fungus since Harvey and the rest of my lawn looks awesome. Have also spot treated the areas for chinch bugs, and all of the web worms cut worms and army worms. Do not see any moths flying around and no evidence of caterpillars, alive or dead.

Pics when I get home.

FincAg
AG
Do you have a dog?

http://www.dfs-pet-blog.com/2011/04/dogs-urine-killing-grass/
jay040
grub worms?
Gary79Ag
AG
Check with the expert Ag...

http://neilsperry.com/2008/04/identifying-issues-of-st-augustine-lawn-management/
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Are you seeing patches of white webbing that look like teddy bear stuffing?
Cromagnum
AG
hodgesco said:

Are you seeing patches of white webbing that look like teddy bear stuffing?

Nope. Nothing out the ordinary. Pics put up in original post now.
ftworthag02
AG
Looks like take all root rot (tarr)
The Original AG 76
AG
with all of the rain I is probably a fungus. St A is susceptible to damn near every fungus and rot known to man. Lot son treatments available . I would use a granular followed by a spray. Rinse repeat a couple of times. Don't look for a lot of recovery this year as we are late in the season. STRONGLY advise you check out http://www.randylemmon.com for the best advise.

Good luck
Cromagnum
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Looks like take all root rot (tarr)

Had that **** last year. Peat moss did pretty well so I guess I'll go get a few bales of that again.
ChoppinDs40
AG
If you've got TARR be prepared to stay on top of that. Pretty much impossible to kill those little nematodes.
Cromagnum
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

If you've got TARR be prepared to stay on top of that. Pretty much impossible to kill those little nematodes.

Root rot is a fungal disease, not nematodes.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Right sorry - got my head flipped.

Can battle it with the right amount of pH in the soil. My lawn guy said that a healthy lawn should have good nematodes that eat the fungi (he's an organic guy). Either way, it's hard to battle and it's not an overnight fix. I had bad TARR in spots of my yard when we bought but with over a year of proper fertilization and soil treatment, my lawn is the best on the block.
Actionag
I got root rot and took my weed eater to it. Grass filled back in, in no time.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Actionag said:

This is such a cousin Eddie approach. The fact that yourlawn grew back over the patch has nothing to do with the health of your lawn.

TARR kills lawns by damaging the roots' ability to draw water from soil. My - how we've had so much rain lately? TARR shows up when a lawn has rain to grow the fungi and then damages when less than desirable water levels arise. If a lawn is getting watered frequently, and still shows up, the roots are dead.

Anyone that suggests "weed eating it and letting it grow back" should be muted.
Cloud
Looks like chinch bug damage
Cromagnum
AG
Well, I spread some 24 hour grub / chinch killer on the bad spots and 5 foot bordering. I also put Peat moss all over the entire yard in case it really is TARR. One way or the other I'm going to win this fight.
Actionag
Hate to lose you as a follower.
Presley OBannons Sword
AggieFanatic09 said:

Actionag said:

This is such a cousin Eddie approach. The fact that yourlawn grew back over the patch has nothing to do with the health of your lawn.

TARR kills lawns by damaging the roots' ability to draw water from soil. My - how we've had so much rain lately? TARR shows up when a lawn has rain to grow the fungi and then damages when less than desirable water levels arise. If a lawn is getting watered frequently, and still shows up, the roots are dead.

Anyone that suggests "weed eating it and letting it grow back" should be muted.
man, that's an intense response to a pretty innocuous post
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.