First Welder Opinions

3,715 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Madman
Vivificus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking of buying a 225a Lincoln Electric stick welder.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Electric-240-Volt-Stick-Welder/1115275

I figured it would be a good all around tool, able to weld some heavy steel if I ever get good enough.

Anyone have a suggestion on this or a recommendation for a different model?
Viv
BosAG06
AG
Have you looked into the Hobart Handler 140? Supposed to be a really good all around welder.
Vivificus
AG
That one looks pretty good, not sure if I'm ready to spend quite that much.

Is there any advantage to the MIG over the Stick? I don't see myself keeping a shield gas on hand so I would most likely use a flux core wire in it.

I do like that it's 110v , that would let me avoid adding a 220v outlet specifically for the welder.
Viv
VincentBlack
You don't say what your goals are with this tool, which you may want to decide before jumping in. Perhaps browse or even ask this question over at:

weldingweb.com
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/forum
hobartwelders.com/mboard/

I've owned a Handler 140 for years, and I run it both with shielding gas (solid core) and without (flux core) depending on what my project is. I think it's one of the best hobbyist welders around. It's seen lots of duty on custom motorcycle and Big Block Chevy projects, as well as numerous projects made out of steel < 1/4" thick. The 110V requirement is very convenient and I wouldn't trade it for a 220V setup if offered.

However, if thicker or high duty-cycle projects are your goal, then you should look at more amperage. I wouldn't suggest the Hobart 140 for mass production of flatbed trailers, for instance.

I learned on an old cracker-box stick machine, but I'll choose a wire-fed unit everyday.
will.mcg
AG
If you wanna learn stick, get it, but understand welding anything thinner than 3/16" will be very frustrating at first. If you don't plan on welding much of anything thicker than 3/16" go for a welder such as the Hobart 140, it is super handy. I have a Miller version that has paid for itself many times over in the two years I've owned it.
javajaws
AG
What do you want to do with it? For outside/farm use a stick may be good for you. But for garage work with standard sizes of metal tubing, etc...a 220v MIG w/gas will be your best bet. You can buy a gas cylinder off craigslist for $80 or so then go trade it in for a filled up one at a local welding supply.
Vivificus
AG
I would like to make some lite structural pieces like work tables, maybe some shelving or cabinets. Maybe some sheet metal work. I would love to one day be able to build bumpers/trailers, but I don't think a good welder capable of that work will be in my price range of $300 or so.
Viv
Gigemags05
AG
I definitely recommend a wire feed welder with MIG capability for your purposes. 220v is preferable.

People get hung up on brand names, and if I had $1000 or so to spend I'd go for a Miller. But til then I'll keep rocking the $200 harbor freight 170 amp that I've put through the ringer over he last 5-6 yrs. I've built bumpers, trailers, welded on vehicle frames, and everything in between and the machine has performed well.

javajaws
AG
I'd definitely recommend the MIG then (w/gas and 220v if you can): buy once, cry once. You'll be amazed how fast you can pick up some usable skills and the uses you'll then find.

Aggietaco
AG
Hobart 140 is a great machine. I had one for a long while, sold it when I thought I was out of the welding game, and now have a Hobart 125. The 125 works fine for my needs, but the 140 was much better (220 v 110 is a game changer).
MouthBQ98
AG
I found a unit online that does Tig, stick, and has a plasma cutter option included if you have a decent sized compressor. That plasma cutter is fun.

Been using it for months, and cost me only $400. Granted, I'm a fairly experienced welder by now, but any noob should be able to watch a few videos and then make ok looking welds with 7014 rods. Mig makes good welds and is easy using flux core, but dealing with the shielding gas is a bit more challenging.

I haven't tried much Tig yet, but it makes the cleanest welds unless you have a very stead hand with 6013 rods.
Vivificus
AG
So I caved and got the Hobart Handler 140. It just went off of sale at $459 at tractor supply. I asked if they would give me the sale price and they did. From what I hear I will be very pleased with it.
Viv
will.mcg
AG
Now you have to share pictures of your projects so we can all be motivated to do something with our machines.

My latest idea for a project is to weld the chain together on the dumpster cage behind my home since the garbage man keeps thinking it is within his "legal rights" to make incredibly loud noises before 5AM, but that's a different story. No, I'm not actually going to do so. I'll probably try my hand at some autobody sheet metal next, area in front of & behind tires.
burnerET
This has been my newly acquired hobby over the past year. I went a little bit deeper into the rabbit hole than you though lol. You'll definitely enjoy your Hobart, especially mig over stick welding, its a lot easier to just fire it up and go. Don't let gas intimidate you, theres not much to it ( pretty much like a grille being hooked up to propane). My first big purchase was a Miller 252 Mig welder. Them somehow I managed to talk the rib into a Hypertherm 45XP plasma cutter. Ultimately I want to get a CNC table for it to fabricate things. I just began classes this week to perfect my skills. IM a firefighter by career and wanted to learn a trade to start a business on my off time. A few projects Ive done are a welding table, some yard gates for the inlaw's, and currently working on a dumbbell rack for our home gym.
javajaws
AG
will.mcg said:

Now you have to share pictures of your projects so we can all be motivated to do something with our machines.
Like this belt grinder:

Or this teardrop trailer frame (being painted in this first pic):

Or this gravity feed smoker:

Or perhaps a humble step-up bench:
Aggie1
AG
http://view.harborfreightemail.com/?qs=b348956d3c95815d5cc591c6eb2b24c6c9cf811233ff57353d4653c5eb645296101a4d12b9e7c4448e98ccb24250ffd2562c58559a1e4ea516584338dc21bf81dea3379f4563f1a1
Gigemags05
AG
I'm very interested in that new line at hf. Like I said earlier, my 170
Amp welder from there has been outstanding.
will.mcg
AG
I have two of the $8 grinders. I am interested in the new line of grinders they have that are compared to dewalt. Theirs is like $30. Who doesn't need three grinders. Next time I have a project where I am switching between grinding wheels & flap disks I will probably get tired of it & go buy one.
javajaws
AG
Multiple angle grinders are definitely a time saver. At least one with a cutoff and another with a flap disc for me.

If you can afford them...Metabo grinders are great.
Madman
AG
Desk in process

will.mcg
AG
Nice. That looks heavy. Tell us your plans for the top.
Madman
AG
Oak Butcher Block type.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.