Flood insurance question

1,876 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JSKolache
Foamcows
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Building a new home in the first ward, and will be closing soon which means I need to arrange the insurance. I have seen first hand the damage caused by the storm as I have spent the last week helping rip out walls and prepping houses to be repaired once they dry out.

With that said, the new house was nowhere near being flooded. From what I can see the nearest water sitting in I-10 was running around 50 ft of elevation and the new house sits on a hill at approx 65 to 70 ft.

If you were in my shoes, would you buy flood insurance? Are there any other situations it would help to have other than rising water?
Vernada
AG
I spend the $450/yr and don't think twice about it.
MrJonMan
AG
Vernada said:

I spend the $450/yr and don't think twice about it.

This!

Too cheap not to have!
jaggiemaggie
AG
Our friend's houses sits 3 feet up and got a got a foot inside.... just sayin....
CapCity12thMan
AG
didn't realize it was that cheap. That seems like a no-brainer.
YellAg2004
AG
Also, consider that flood insurance covers all rising water, not just monster floods like this. Say a storm sewer collapses or manhole fails and causes all the upstream water to backup in the streets, flooding your house. Without flood insurance, you'd be screwed just as if your place did flood in Harvey and you didn't have flood insurance.
Aggietaco
AG
And the rate at which permeable cover is being eliminated in Houston (ie. your new house), there's no telling how much higher the waters could be next time.
jaggiemaggie
AG
But your house should be ok
will.mcg
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Also, consider that flood insurance covers all rising water, not just monster floods like this. Say a storm sewer collapses or manhole fails and causes all the upstream water to backup in the streets, flooding your house. Without flood insurance, you'd be screwed just as if your place did flood in Harvey and you didn't have flood insurance.
Say your power went out & the freezer leaked all over your kitchen requiring new floors or you went out of town & a toilet water line broke & flooded your house. Would you also be screwed without flood or would this sort of thing be covered under homeowners?
03_Aggie
will.mcg said:

YellAg2004 said:

Say your power went out & the freezer leaked all over your kitchen requiring new floors or you went out of town & a toilet water line broke & flooded your house. Would you also be screwed without flood or would this sort of thing be covered under homeowners?

Homeowners.
agnerd
AG
I live behind the Add icks reservoir and do not have flood insurance. I survived a 10,000 year storm at my house that is above and beyond anything this country has ever seen and multiple times greater than anything Houston has ever seen. If that storm didn't flood me, NOTHING will. That being said, I encourage you to evaluate your own risk tolerance and purchase the appropriate amount of insurance accordingly.
YellAg2004
AG
03_Aggie said:

will.mcg said:

YellAg2004 said:

Homeowners.
This.
Kenneth_2003
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Very sound advice... One dry summer where the neighbor down the street is sweeping his lawn clippings into the drain and the storm drain is plugged up... We can't answer or evaluate this. You need to look at the street and your position on it relative to the storm drains and see how the water will flow past your home.

In my case, I decided against flood insurance. I'm the 2nd or 3rd highest house on my side of the street and am 10 ft or more above the end of the street. After driving around, looking at the lay of the land and watching the way water leaves and goes to the nearby creek I realized it just won't happen to me. That's my situation... Judge for yourself.
sts7049
AG
agnerd said:

I live behind the Add icks reservoir and do not have flood insurance. I survived a 10,000 year storm at my house that is above and beyond anything this country has ever seen and multiple times greater than anything Houston has ever seen. If that storm didn't flood me, NOTHING will. That being said, I encourage you to evaluate your own risk tolerance and purchase the appropriate amount of insurance accordingly.
past events are no indicator of what can happen in the future. so, proceed at your own risk. i hope you aren't one of those next time who says "i never thought this could happen to me" when your house is full of water.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
sts7049 said:

agnerd said:

past events are no indicator of what can happen in the future. so, proceed at your own risk. i hope you aren't one of those next time who says "i never thought this could happen to me" when your house is full of water.
Yep.

Neighborhoods behind the HEB on Bunker Hill hadn't flooded since they were built in the 50's.

HEB shopping center comes along and bam, they flood all the time now.
JSKolache
AG
agnerd said:

40k people said these exact words last year, and look at em now....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.