Shower repair/remodel help needed...

1,463 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Kenneth_2003
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need some TexAgs advice. This is our master bath/shower. Typical builder-grade design...

We had a plumbing leak repaired that left us with this...

My initial plan was to tear most of this out and re-frame it to move the tub over about 4 inches. This would hopefully give me the option to frame out a small seat in the shower and give more overall room in the shower. My best guess is we'd only be in this house 2 more years, so not wanting to put a ton of money into a remodel, but was thinking I may have to tear out the tile and sheetrock anyway just to repair the existing tile. My wife, however, wants to avoid the big project and just get her shower back... guess she's tired of sharing our kids' shower. She wants me to just "fix the hole".

Is there a way to just "fix the hole"? I have some of the original tile, but don't know if a proper repair can be done without a major re-do.

Any wisdom?
sts7049
AG
does that shower have any waterproofing installed? if not... i don't think you will be just fixing the hole.
bam02
AG
I am not sure but I'm guessing it does not. Would the waterproof layer be obvious? Could it be clear or white?

When I removed the tile I didn't notice anything but the dry wall and tile.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Sheetrock, even green board is NOT waterproof, bit dies its presence alone constitute proper waterproofing of a shower.
Aggietaco
AG
How bad and how long was your leak? You might need to open that up a bit further to at least let things dry out, if not replace some lumber, if your leak was extensive.
AggiePlaya
AG
Fix it right now or face problems later when you have to disclose the issue in seller's disclosure on sale of home.

Plus that plain white tile is boring so a re-do would make it look better. Trying to just patch may lead to future issues that could be an even bigger headache!

My 2 cents
bam02
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Sheetrock, even green board is NOT waterproof, bit dies its presence alone constitute proper waterproofing of a shower.

Kenneth, can you clarify? Are you saying sheet rock alone is proper waterproofing?

Taco, I don't really know how to judge the level of the leak, but it was at least a constant drop and went on for a couple of months I'm thinking. Ridiculous, I know!

The leak has been repaired for most of the summer and it's been open like that the whole time so I'm assuming it's completely dried out. The baseboard on the back side of the shower wall were swollen (how I noticed the leak) but have returned to normal.

Thanks for the input. I am realizing the ultimate correct answer is tear out and re-do, but trying to keep the wife happy, toor, so just checking if a small repair would be acceptable to get the shower up and running again.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Sorry... phone and auto incorrect...

No. Sheet rock (or backer board) alone does NOT constitute water proofing/moisture barrier. You should have a physical membrane between the two. I've used and prefer red guard (roll on product), but there are others.

Most builders skip the water proofing
bam02
AG

OK so I obviously decided to jump in the deep end.

How would you handle the large opening around my shower drain? I was planning to use one of the systems with sloped plastic strips to help create my mortar beds. Would I be better off with one of the pre-made Styrofoam beds like schluter?
idAg09
bam02 said:

How would you handle the large opening around my shower drain? I was planning to use one of the systems with sloped plastic strips to help create my mortar beds. Would I be better off with one of the pre-made Styrofoam beds like schluter?

Get rid of the tub and turn that into a bad ass shower
TexasAggie_97
AG
idAg09 said:

bam02 said:

Get rid of the tub and turn that into a bad ass shower
That's what my wife and I did.
Kenneth_2003
AG
The sloped product is fine. Get your drain sweet art the correct height then fill the hole with concrete. If the soil is loose, compact it best you can, then fill it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.