discrepancy with two new home builds

1,666 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by trip
Foamcows
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Having a home built which is inversely identical in floorplan to my neighbor whose unit is also being completed on a similar timeline to ours.

We both happened to stop by today after work at the same time to check the progress of our homes and I started inquiring about some of the upgrades they selected to go with. Come to find out, some of the items in the kitchen configuration that we selected for the home and were told were upgrades ($800) were also in our neighbors unit, with one big difference... they didnt have to pay for these items. (we asked for a separate cook top and wall mount oven versus a all in one range configuration).

On the flip side, my neighbor paid $800 for a gas line to be run to the back of the house that could be used for an outdoor kitchen configuration later on. I declined for this option, yet noticed today that the gas line was still run to the back of our house.

There were other small items, such as they had to pay for an alarm panel in the master bedroom. We did not select this option yet noticed the panel was added to our bedroom.

Talked to my realtor who said the only real leverage I have is if there is an upgrade we paid for that they did not provide, otherwise each house has a unique contract and there isn't much that can be done.

I guess my question is, how upset should I be about the additional 800 we spent on the kitchen that they were not charged for to receive the same kitchen? Sure, it appears that I will get a free gas line to the back.. but i never really wanted it and probably will never use it.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
Be upset. The pipe for your gas line cost (maybe) $50.

But you signed a contract. So, my guess is there is not much you can do at this point. Your builder likely hired the same subs who are installing the same items in identical houses. The subs don't care. It is minimal cost to them.
p_bubel
New construction is such a ****ing racket.

I wouldn't worry about it, in the end.
UnderoosAg
AG
Buying a production house is like buying a car. There are deals, and then there are deals, and a lot can be dependent on the sales people on a given day. I saw a house I liked and bought it a couple days later. Next door neighbor wheeled and dealed over a couple of weeks to get free stuff, even threatening to walk.

You're getting free stuff because the subs aren't paying attention. Oh, that house is the same so it must the gas line and alarm panel, too. Happens a lot. I got a free room of wood flooring because the sub didn't know where to stop, so he just kept right on trucking. Builders can afford to eat stuff like that when it happens because, as noted, it's a racket. I had the option to upgrade lighting fixtures for like $500 or something stupid. In reality, it would have been going from an $8 fixture to a $14 fixture in ten places.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'd want it addressd. Contract..lol. youd be surprised how little weight that carries when you start squeeking.

That builder isn't losing money by giving free 800 upgrades. In fact he paid for that free upgrade with another contract.
jtp01
AG
You were happy to pay for the kitchen upgrade initially. Your neighbor negotiated a better deal on the kitchen and he was happy to pay for the gas line.

Either way, you are getting the house you wanted and he's getting the house he wanted. You should hold the contractor accountable for the contract you each agreed to, nothing more, nothing less.
KellerAg98
If somebody negotiates a better price for a car do you go back to the dealership asking for a discount?

Negotiate better next time if you like to haggle and want the best possible deal.
mtony77
AG
Your neighbors contract has absolutely nothing to do with yours, that is the deal you negotiated, and signed. Be happy you got an extra gas line.
62strat
AG
Incentives also come and go. When we put down earnest on our new build, we were told the next day (a new month) some of our incentives we got were going away, like solid surface in kitchen. It turned out to be very true. Other houses after ours, they had to pay for the upgrade. Another incentive was $15k off lot premiums. We back up to a park, have a lot 20' longer, and have a mountain view, and paid the same premium as houses with the smaller lot that have another house 50' behind them. Someone who bought literally a day after us would not have received that incentive.
hurricanejake02
AG
Sounds like you and the neighbor should discuss any remaining upgrades that the two of you want, and split them between the houses - because it looks like you're both going to get whatever either of you picks.

It's a gamble... but you'd only spend half.
SoTheySay
S
It's also possible that your neighbor is paying for the upgrade and forgot. Or your neighbors wife told him it was included and lied.
trip
AG
Every adjustment/change order works out to favor the builder. Enjoy!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.