AC Condensate Drain Line

5,022 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by htxag09
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

My AC condensate drain line ties-into under a sink in an upstairs bathroom.

Home was completed this past Spring, and because I don't think anyone has ever really gone into this bathroom, we noticed yesterday the condensation and pooling of water under the sink/in the cabinet.

Spoke to my builder and he said it's occuring from the water coming from the attic into the air conditioned house (I agree) and the only fix is to keep the cabinet doors propped slightly opened and a towel under the drain lines.

That doesn't seem acceptable to me as a long-term solution. Thoughts?

toolshed
AG
What's the AC temp upstairs?

The problem likely is that the water in the condensate line is cold from the coils, and the air in the cabinet is a bit warmer and more humid (lack of air flow/ higher temp upstairs than downstairs?) so the pipe sweats. Same as a cold drink cup sweating. I know they have to insulate the pipe in the attic to keep the pipe from dropping condensation in the attic, and you could pretty easily insulate the smaller line coming into the p trap.

They make a p trap insulation boot for commercial sinks to make them ada compliant. Maybe that's sufficient enough to keep the trap assembly from sweating.

Or try tying a bag around the p trap and stuff with some insulation, rags or something else to help insulate the assembly.
UnderoosAg
AG
toolshed said:

They make a p trap insulation boot for commercial sinks to make them ada compliant. Maybe that's sufficient enough to keep the trap assembly from sweating.

The Truebro kits are mostly padding but might work. Just need to be sure it's not sweating inside the wrap.

Ask your builder if he honestly expects all his new homes to have to prop open doors and use a towel. If he does, ask him what time he's coming by every week to change out the towel. My unit is like that and doesn't sweat. Many units are like that without sweating.

Have him get off his lazy ass and have his AC guy look at the traps at your AC unit. Make sure it's actually trapping water and that you aren't having excessive cold air getting blown thru the drain pipe. One neighbor's house had the drain plug in the sink rattling nonstop because it was piped with a running trap that was too shallow. You could feel a steady stream of cold air coming out of the drain.

At the very least he should have offered to get $10 of pipe insulation and wrap it for you.
Gary79Ag
AG
^^^^^
THIS

What kind of arsehole builder did you get stuck with? Be sure to advertise for him so future customers know how he operates and see how fast he either gets his sh/t together and resolves your problem or he has built his last house. That response from him is total bullsh/t...period.
Gary79Ag
AG
PS...told my wife about this and she said you need to advertise for him by posting a pic of the cabinet doors slightly opened with a sign of your builders business card above it and a note that he says to keep the cabinet doors open with a light on and he'll be sure to stop by to swap out the damp towels on a regular basis!
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Raise hell. You paid for the builder's work. Hold his feet to the fire.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Similar question on the primary condensate line... we are selling our home and the buyers inspector noted that our primary condensate line is not insulated and it needed to be... I have never heard of this and seems like a silly repair, I mean it's probably about 4 linear feet of pvc that I can put pipe wrap on... I don't mind doing it but have never heard of having that insulated?

ETA: its an attic mounted unit.
ebtexag12
AG
It's code now to have your main drain insulated but that's only when you replace a system. That's just an inspector trying to cover himself if it sweats through the ceiling on the new people. They find dumb stuff like that all the time.
ebtexag12
AG
How dirty are your filters? How cold are you keeping it in your house? I would get your A/C guy to clear your drain and wrap that with armaflex.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
ebtexag12 said:

They find dumb stuff like that all the time.

Thanks. I went ahead and bought $2 worth of pipe insulation and installed it. For the sale of the home something little like that is an easy yes.

The inspector really did harp on some dumb things. Almost everything the buyer is looking to have fixed cost about $5 and 15 minutes of time with either a caulk gun or a screwdriver.... used 4 squirts of roof tar tube to cover 4 exposed nail heads on roof.... now I'm looking for other things to seal so as to not waste an entire tube.
AggiePlaya
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

ebtexag12 said:

They find dumb stuff like that all the time.

Thanks. I went ahead and bought $2 worth of pipe insulation and installed it. For the sale of the home something little like that is an easy yes.

The inspector really did harp on some dumb things. Almost everything the buyer is looking to have fixed cost about $5 and 15 minutes of time with either a caulk gun or a screwdriver.... used 4 squirts of roof tar tube to cover 4 exposed nail heads on roof.... now I'm looking for other things to seal so as to not waste an entire tube.
Although that may be some annoying nit-picking, if that's all you had to resolve you got off easy...be lucky it wasn't thousands in repairs and a long list of crap that may have killed the deal.

Wife had a client that refused to reason and they would not back down on asking for the moon...so they lost the deal and the sellers had another contract practically the next day!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Oh. I know. I was ecstatic when they sent me the list. I received the report first and went... "oh crap!" They are gonna want some big ticket items fixed... they completely glossed them over and just sent me a weekend honey do list. We got an amendment to allow me to do the work and I pretty much knocked it all out today. Only cost me 1 trip to Home Depot and $122.
SCHTICK00
AG
Make sure you clean that trap once a year. It will be full of slime.
htxag09
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

Make sure you clean that trap once a year. It will be full of slime.

I do it twice a year. When I'm in the attic getting Christmas decorations and in July. It's funny how often people post in next door asking for help because their guest bathroom sink, which they never use, is overflowing with water. FWIW, I live inside the loop in houston so lots of first time homeowners and yuppies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.