Outdoor living area fireplace - gas or wood?

1,542 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Gary79Ag
35chililights
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So there was a little bit of miscommunication between myself and the builder, it's not too big of a deal, but now's the time to fix it.

The indoor fire place we have, will be a gas insert. I told him I wanted a wood-burning fireplace outside. I think where the miscommunication happened was when he convinced me to at least run the gas line to it, so I would at least have a starter pipe. It wasn't that big of a deal to me either way, and the convenience would be nice, so I agreed.

Well, the fireplace guy ended up putting a gas insert into the outdoor fireplace. I didn't know enough at the time to catch that the framing might have been done incorrectly for a wood-burning fireplace as well, or I would've stopped it earlier. The builder is awesome and will do whatever I want, but wanted me to just ask around if a wood burning fireplace would get enough draw to not be smoky for the people on the patio. That wasn't something that had even crossed my mind as a potential issue for a wood-burning fireplace.

So my question, I guess, is to anyone that has an outdoor fireplace at the end of the living space similar to my design: do you have an issue with the fireplace drawing enough air to not be smoky for the patio area?

Bonfire1996
AG
Where are you in Texas?

The distance to draw is 15 feet for what you would put in there, and you look like you have that covered.

Bonfire1996
AG
FYI, an outdoor wood burner will always smoke due to wind whipping around that affects the draw, but for the most part, you will be fine.
35chililights
AG
I guess I also should've added, that at some point in the future I may put a television above the mantle. I don't know if that has any bearing either way though.
Bonfire1996
AG
Replied with a phone number. Give me a call.
Sazerac
AG
that will absolutely draw. is the top tall enough / clearance from the roof? looks like it, but check.

i would def have them change it out if you want to burn real wood (and who wouldn't)
sleepybeagle
AG
Yep - outside you want wood, just more fun. A gas starter is very nice as well.
Fairview
AG
I've had both and also prefer wood outside. It's more fun, smells better and is just better overall. You may have some clothes that smell smoky sometimes but it's worth it to me.
alabamaaggie12
AG
We have a wood-burning fireplace on the east side of our porch addition. Sometimes when the breezes are stronger from the north or northwest we will get some smoke, but it is never bad enough to bother us breathing-wise. Our clothes will smell a little smoky, but it's a good smoky, and not excessive.

We have a wood storage box on each side of the fireplace structure that provides a place for a 50" TV to sit. We were afraid putting it on the mantle would get too hot, plus it's a little precarious of a perch for the TV since we don't have it permanently mounted out there.
35chililights
AG
I decided to go with a wood insert. I'm not to worried about slight smoke, and Bonfire 1996 was extremely helpful. It's a shame it won't be completed for the Ags this Fall, unless they make a late bowl game.
Gary79Ag
AG
35chililights said:

I decided to go with a wood insert. I'm not to worried about slight smoke, and Bonfire 1996 was extremely helpful. It's a shame it won't be completed for the Ags this Fall, unless they make a late bowl game.
Got plenty of time to get er don by January 8th!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.