Ikea cabinets

2,463 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Fleen
Fleen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yea or nay? Common, residential use, DIY install.
sleepybeagle
AG
My sister used them in her kitchen and I thought they looked good. Not high end, but nice.
Fleen
Well, we are replacing 70+ y/o cabinets so looking for nice and functional. I'm doing the whole kitchen reno myself so cost is a factor too.
YellAg2004
AG
We used them for our kitchen remodel and are very happy with the results. We used the boxes, drawers, hinges, and shelves but got custom doors, drawer fronts, and end panels from All Style doors. They're solid wood and look really good IMO.

If you decide to go the IKEA route, let me know and I'll be happy to share some more thoughts on the layout, install, etc.
The Fife
I used them for our master bathroom but customized them heavily. No regrets at all, I'll post some pictures later. Everything was on Photobucket and rehosting on imgur is a pain.
texagpilot
AG
I used them in my last house in kitchen, looked really nice. Lots of customization and storage options. I was very happy with them.
Aggietaco
AG
I've used them in our laundry room and to create some semi-custom furniture. I typically add some wood glue out of habit, but I've been happy with them so far. I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a kitchen reno, but I would probably lean towards the custom or custom-production type doors and drawer faces over Ikea's offerings.

I would also suggest visiting with a local cabinet shop, just to get an idea of what a fully custom setup would cost.
jaggiemaggie
AG
YellAg2004 said:

We used them for our kitchen remodel and are very happy with the results. We used the boxes, drawers, hinges, and shelves but got custom doors, drawer fronts, and end panels from All Style doors. They're solid wood and look really good IMO.

If you decide to go the IKEA route, let me know and I'll be happy to share some more thoughts on the layout, install, etc.
Mind sharing what the additional cost for the doors and fronts were compared to doors and fronts from ikea?
YellAg2004
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

YellAg2004 said:

Mind sharing what the additional cost for the doors and fronts were compared to doors and fronts from ikea?
We had 22 regular doors, 2 tall pantry doors, 10 regular end panels (1 tall pantry, 3 lower, 6 upper), 2 full height refrigerator panels, a dishwasher panel, a trash drawer panel, and 18 drawer fronts (all 30" or 36" wide). The total cost was just over $9k.

The Ikea boxes, drawer frames, and all associated hardware (wall rails, drawer glides, hinges, etc.) was just over $3k, so our total cabinet cost was $12k.

You can't really compare the custom drawer fronts to the Ikea drawer fronts. Our fronts are all solid wood and were custom painted to match the rest of the trim color in the house. If Ikea would have had a plain white shaker door, we would have gone with it, but their shaker door was off-white and just looked dingy, especially when we got it into the bright lights of our kitchen. Ikea has some solid wood doors, but anything in white is particle board/MDF with the thermofoil wrap/overlay.

There are definitely cheaper options out there. I'm under no impression that I got an outstanding deal, but for what we paid and how much we got to customize the space, I'm very happy with how it turned out. There are several companies that make doors that fit Ikea boxes, but each one has their own quirks and/or restrictions and All Style was the company that ended up working out the best for us. Definitely get some quotes from the other companies though as All Style wasn't the cheapest.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
dmweaver-realtor
AG
From a resale perspective, if you are under $750K in home value I think they are a great option and are very customizable. All of the organization units are amazing and well thought out. If you are over $750K most homebuyers in that price point would expect custom cabinets.
Fleen
Well then, whew, I think our ikea purchase this morning is justified...
A is A
AG
Use everything but the doors and handles.

for a better finish we used: https://www.semihandmadedoors.com/
Vernada
AG
We not only installed them and loved them, but took them down, moved them about 2 hours down the road and reinstalled them. They still good and are holding up well.
Fleen
nutmegger_aggie said:

Use everything but the doors and handles.

for a better finish we used: https://www.semihandmadedoors.com/

Not buying the handles from Ikea, we are ok with the drawer and cabinet faces, cover panels as well.. Thanks for the insights...
ChipFTAC01
AG
My in-laws just did a total kitchen gut job and went with ikea cabinets. Looks nice.
Fleen
Update: Order delivered yesterday, missing our large Farmhouse Apron Sink, about 50% of our shelves and a few other boxes. Did deliver 3 extra boxes of drawers... They actually returned after first drop to deliver a few cover panels, wife inquired about the sink and was told "it's all there".

At least we've had excellent, prompt service from the designer and am confident she will resolve. It also helps that I'm not ready for install yet...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.