Ceiling Insulation

825 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Fife
FortWorthF3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to get new insulation put into my attic. Currently a 2100 sq/ft home with really destroyed insulation in some areas (from roof rats) and no insulation in other areas. There is also a tangle of wires running all over the attic with no real organization. The wire issue may be more of a convenience issue for access but may also be a safety issue for re-insulating (not sure).

What sort of pricing should I expect? Does this type of service normally include sealing up holes in my roof that rats/mice can get into?
sleepybeagle
AG

Bump
V8Aggie
AG
I have the same issue. I've been meaning to do the following but can't motivate my ass.

Basically go to lowes and rent the loose fill machine so long as you have a partner to feed it downstairs. Research the R value to determine the thickness. You can just spray over the old crap.

I don't believe the wires are an issue but you will need to make note of where lighting fixtures are as you need adequate spacing to avoid fire hazards. Also need to make sure you don't fill in the gaps at the eves. Other than that it shouldn't be too expensive.

This is from personal research so if someone notices anything is wrong please correct me.
07&09Ag
I'd honestly make a few calls before diy'ing it. When we did our remote I was going to diy to save money and it kept getting out off so I finally called someone and they were able to do it for roughly the same price as buying the blown in at lowes. They were also in and out in less than an hour which it would have taken me longer just to go pick it up. Just my experience.
The Fife
From what I've seen adding insulation will not include covering holes animals use to get in. Wires are ok to insulate in top of so long as your wiring is not knob and tube or otherwise damaged.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.