My Home Renovation - The end is in sight!

2,028 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by histag10
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, we are finally buckling down and finishing everything in our house up. We are hoping to put it on the market here shortly, and be back in Texas by next month. Quick timeline, and it wasnt our decision really.

But I realized I kind of stopped posting about our renovation adventures with our super old house here in Montana.

Our house had a full bath downstairs, which is fine, except there are NO bedrooms downstairs, and having a tub and shower seemed kind of odd. It was finished with cheap laminate floor, and an old kitchen cabinet retrofitted for a sink. It was pretty horrible.

our house also has very little storage (we have a basement and attic, but nothing for cleaning supplies, etc)

We gutted that bathroom, and in doing so realized our subfloor was rotted out. We replaced it with cement board, and leveled the floors as best can be done in a house that old. We then laid tile, which is carried out into the dining, kitchen, and laundry (still working on that- will post when complete). We built a wall, creating a decent sized walk in closet at the back, giving us a place to store cleaning supplies, brooms, mops, vacuum cleaner, and even have hooks for jackets. We built the barnwood door (save money and space) out of reclaimed wood from an old building in the area, and my husband and his coworker fabricated the metal frame for it. We still plan on painting it, dont worry.

The before picture (best I can find- it was yellow when we bought it):

After:

oh, we also rewired the bathroom, bringing it up to code, and replaced the light fixtures and fan, and added a light in the closet.
AgLA06
AG
Nice
Oogway
histag10
AG
I'm 90% certain grout was invented by the devil. Oh about halfway finished grouting dining room. Then onto the kitchen. Thinking we will just write off reflooring the laundry room.

Under 3 weeks now until move, and I feel like I have more to do now than I did last week.
Gary79Ag
AG
Grouting is one thing, but why do the large tiles not line up?
histag10
AG
They do, I wasn t finished cleaning grout off the tiles completely, so it looks a bit odd.

We used corner spacers, so I know they all line up perfectly. The walls are another story. Apparently houses built in the early 1900s are nowhere near square.

But thanks for the criticism
txag2008
AG
I think what he's referring to is how the tile below the mosaic inlay doesn't match with the ones above it

histag10
AG
Camera phone angle. Not a professional photographer, and I wasn t holding the phone perfectly level and parallel to the ground.

Man, you guys are brutal these days....
UnderoosAg
AG
histag10 said:

Man, you guys are brutal these days....

Not brutal, just OCD. Although it should be CDO so it's in order. Speaking of which,

Quote:

oh, we also rewired the bathroom, bringing it up to code

Is everything in the bathroom on its own circuit with nothing else on it?
Is there a GFCI protected receptacle within 36" of the basin?

histag10
AG
No GFCI receptacles, as the bathroom is on a GFCI circuit breaker. If the buyer really wants us to change them out, we can do that.

Bathroom is on it's own circuit.
rondis23
AG
Is the barn door covering the shower, or leading to the hallway? That's interesting. Nice job!
histag10
AG
rondis23 said:

Is the barn door covering the shower, or leading to the hallway? That's interesting. Nice job!

We took out the bath/shower and added a closet. There was no need for a full bath anyways, as that is the downstairs bathroom, and there are no bedrooms downstairs. And we really dont have any storage space for larger items like the vacuum, brooms, mops, etc. So it will make a nice little area for that.
histag10
AG

I've pretty much checked out of doing stuff. I'lll finish up the backsplash and do a few little things, but we are going to hire a contractor to come in and do all of the finish work because we are literally leaving in the morning to move back to Texas. They will grout the rest of the floors, put up baseboards, paint walls, and finish the kitchen ceiling.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.