Setback from front curb, survey question.

3,037 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by letterman72
AEP Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am considering adding a front porch/covering (College Station). I know the code setback is 25 feet. When I look at my survey it shows I have 25.9 feet from the curb to the front of my house, however when I actually went out to measure I have 37' 8". Is there another "hidden" setback I am unaware of that the surveyor is measuring from? Or did the surveyor measure incorrectly? I checked multiple spots and the 37' is the shortest distance I could find. Other spots are even further. Am I missing something?

beachfront71
AG

where i am at there is a 15' setback from the curb and another 5' setback to the house so you may have the same ..

Just look down the street and see if any homes are sticking out farther than yours is...
beerag04
AG
The setback is not necessarily from the curb. Part of your front lawn may be in the public right of way and the setback would be measured from that point, but the survey should show that. Tough to say without seeing the survey.
Post removed:
by user
AgEngineer72
AG
Need to find out the city's definition of front setback. Some are from center line of street, some are from vertical face of curb, some are from edge of city right of way.
JP76
What subdivision ?

A lot of the subdivision are 35-40 in the deed restrictions.

Do you have the survey ?
AEP Ag

Sorry, had to run to work. Thanks for the help all.

Edit: I thought there might be another right of way, but as best I can tell the measurements are from the actual curb. not sure why the image isn't posting now, it was earlier. you can open it to see.
p_bubel
You can try and find the iron rods, but basically you should be fine if you stay inline with the front of the rest of the house. (Stating the obvious here) Are you trying to come out further towards the street than that?

I'm assuming the "brick wall" is a coutyard of sorts.
Kenneth_2003
AG
That survey does not show the location of the street. It only shows where your physical property ends in the front. That line is likely a ways back from the actual curb.
AEP Ag
p_bubel: yes, I am hoping to come out from the front wall some (about 8 feet potentially if allowed). the "brick wall" was a 5 foot brick wall that had a iron fence above it (total of 8 feet). It was in complete disrepair so I tore it down. Now just a patio.

Kenneth: while it doesn't name the street or show it, the front curved line is the curb. My driveway (on the left) has a narrow portion close to the street that fans out into the larger driveway. I measured the narrow portion and it is only 4 feet long, so there can't be much beyond the drawing until you hit the street.
sellthefarm
AG
Your probably wrong about the front line being the curb line. The front line is most likely the property line which is most likely about 10 feet from the curb. The area between the property line and the actual curb is owned by the city and it probably has water, sewer, etc. The surveyor probably has it right.
AEP Ag
You may be right on the 10 foot right of way, however all the utilities are in the back. You can see the easements on the survey. That is what makes me question the survey. Why show all the right of ways and easements on the sides and back but not the front? Also, my driveway measurements and the Entire right side of my house are measured wrong... by almost 10-15 feet in places. Really starting to question most of the measurements.
Aggietaco
AG
Do you have a sidewalk in front of your house?
Greener Acres
I didn't see the image but would add this. Setbacks and easements do not generally combine. Easements are held by the city/whomever for whatever purpose they need. Setbacks are design based and for uniformity.

Call the City. You'll have to anyways to do the work.
AEP Ag
Taco: no sidewalk.

I did in fact call city today, had to wait for the workweek to start. Turns out survey is indeed wrong. City thinks the guy may have measured using google maps. Looks like I have plenty of room to work with. Thanks all for the help and advice. A little surprised at the survey company. I won't say who it is, but considered them to be well respected. Have used them several times before without incident. Always pays to eyeball it yourself.
Gary79Ag
AG
AEP Ag said:

Taco: no sidewalk.

I did in fact call city today, had to wait for the workweek to start. Turns out survey is indeed wrong. City thinks the guy may have measured using google maps. Looks like I have plenty of room to work with. Thanks all for the help and advice. A little surprised at the survey company. I won't say who it is, but considered them to be well respected. Have used them several times before without incident. Always pays to eyeball it yourself.
I have friends living in College Station that may end up eventuallyusing the specific survey company, however either way, I would prefer you identify the survey company so others are made aware of how they may be operating! The survey company may also want to know how one (or more) of their employees are performing their duties if they are indeed using google maps as opposed to doing the job they are paid to actually perform doing proper surveys.
Aggietaco
AG
Agreed. Whichever licensed surveyor likely stamped your drawing will want to know. Besides the fact they owe you a new survey or an explanation.
Agmechanic
AG
I seriously doubt the city knows what the hell they are talking about.
sellthefarm
AG
Agmechanic said:

I seriously doubt the city knows what the hell they are talking about.

Yep...you really need to go back to the surveyor and get this cleared up for good. Don't rely on the city to know what's what. Based on what I saw when you had the pic up, I still think the surveyor is right and the line across the front is the property line and not the curb.
AgEngineer72
AG
As suggested above, I wouldn't take a city employee "voice on the phone" as very credible. Surveyors have a standard they are generally loath to forgo (for very good reason) and they have a license they want to keep. I doubt they would seal a drawing that was worked from a questionable method, but maybe I'm naive. I find it odd that an anonymous city voice would cast dispersion on a professional surveyor without more substantial data- seems inordinately unprofessional.

My experience with different cities is that you can get all kinds of verbal approvals over the phone and in meetings, even across the table in plan reviews, but those evaporate when you apply for permits. Permit reviewers and local Fire and Rescue don't feel bound by an earlier verbal approval especially one over the phone.

I would talk to your surveyor and clarify in detail first, before doing anything else cause this city response sounds kinda like BS. Then I would get sufficient sketches and notes together and meet with a permit reviewer before I proceeded very far.
oldarmy76
No way the paper pusher at the city is right on this one. Curb line is not the property line. As mentioned above, there is usually a 10-foot curb basis between the curb and row/property line. Building setbacks are established by zoning district and also sometimes by deed restrictions.
Lesson here is if you are told something by a city employee and something different by someone who's living depends on being right...don't go with the city employee. Or the other smart option, ask texags.
sellthefarm
AG
AgEngineer72 and oldarmy76 speaking lots of truth.
letterman72
AG
25 feet should be measured from your property line. Find the two property line iron rods that are buried on either side of your front yard and run a string to each rod and measure to the house. I know from experience that those surveys are checked more than once. When they formed the foundation it should have been checked and they check the set back before it was poured for concrete. Probably checked by a city inspector also..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.