Storm Doors

1,322 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JP76
bullard21k
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Built a town home with a rooftop terrace and the regular exterior door is not getting it done as far as keeping rain completely out. Not massive leaking but during storms water will leak through.

We anticipated this problem as the height of the terrace and the fact that it sees such direct elements and exposed rain. There is a small gable over the door and we elevated the door jam, but again the hard sideways driving rain still causes leaks.

Storm door I think is our next step but wanted some suggestions. Metal imo is out due to corrosion. Aluminum would be my next step but with such direct wind/rain/sunlight/humidity will oxidation be a factor?

Vinyl storm doors I guess would work but I don't know of anybody that makes a true vinyl storm door.
bullard21k
AG
Any suggestions?
JP76
I've installed many of these over the past 20 years and have never had any issues. They have double weatherstripping and do a good job of protecting the door and jam.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/LARSON-Signature-Classic-White-Full-View-Aluminum-Standard-Storm-Door-Common-36-in-x-81-in-Actual-35-75-in-x-79-75-in/1000002546
agnerd
AG
Aluminum only corrodes with high chlorine or salt exposure. Assuming your storm door won't be frequently submerged in a salt water pool, go with that. My aluminum patio furniture that's been blown into the pool a few times has been fine as long as I get it out within a few hours.
bullard21k
AG
JP76 said:

I've installed many of these over the past 20 years and have never had any issues. They have double weatherstripping and do a good job of protecting the door and jam.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/LARSON-Signature-Classic-White-Full-View-Aluminum-Standard-Storm-Door-Common-36-in-x-81-in-Actual-35-75-in-x-79-75-in/1000002546

Good deal. Do you know if they offer any type of warranty on the door itself? (Obviously not the glass)
JP76
Limited lifetime warranty

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.