Crack in Slab - New Construction

2,090 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MousepadMarauder
MousepadMarauder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are building a new home and right after the slab was poured I noticed a slight crack from the front door to the back door. The builder assured us that it was normal. As they have framed the crack has gotten larger. Today we found a couple of ant beds along the crack. Would there be ants on the crack if the crack weren't through the whole slab?

What would anyone suggest we do at this point? My thought would be to hire a structural engineer immediately. Other thoughts? I have pictures but don't know how to upload them.

Thanks in advance.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Email them to me

Corps.ag12@gmail.com

*Note: not a structural engineer nor is anything stated a recommendation
Muzzleblast
Stop construction.

Get a lawyer to review your contract.
Gigemags05
AG
Small cracks are normal. If they get bigger and have insects building homes in them I think you're wellmoast the normal realm. Get pics and contact an engineer
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
Like Corps_Ag12, I am a commercial builder. Without doubt, concrete cracks all of the time and many cracks are completely normal. I haven't seen the pictures, but for absolute piece of mind on your end, I would get a Structural Engineer to review it. The few hundred bucks you may spend will be worth it for piece of mind if the cracks are deemed within tolerance.
coyote68
Residential builder for 50 years. Cracks happen and many will not have a long term effect on a structure, but cracks are not normal. Get a structural engineer immediately.
Absolute
AG
Will reinforce other comments. Cracks in concrete are normal. But a straight crack that shows signs of going all the way through the slab (ie ant hills) sea suspect. I would call a licensed professional engineer. If you are in dfw I have List I give out to clients I can share. You can email me at Absolute
Inspections at gmail.com (no spaces.)
Corps_Ag12
AG
For OP

ftworthag02
AG
Call Tommy Lalonde with Thomas engineering consultants.
https://www.thomasengineeringdfw.com/tommy-lalonde-p-e
toolshed
AG
Is the slab post tensioned cables or rebar? What type of soils? Do you know what type of diet work was done, any compaction? Build forms first and place dirt, or build a pad first?

The first crack next to the form board looks normal. The other with the framing and such in the pic looks larger.

As stated above, spend the money now and get an engineer to confirm it's done right or at least to minimum code (not that minimum code will protect you in all cases), but I'd want the peace of mind now bs not knowing.
TXAGGIE10
How long after pour did they start framing? Concrete didn't fully cure?
schmellba99
AG
Concrete should not crack...but it does for a lot of reasons. In the home building industry, it's mostly due to the following factors:

1. Craptastic subgrade prep (if any)
2. Inadequate reinforcing due to the use of mass stamped designs and little to no subsurface exploration
3. Piss poor concrete
4. Bad concrete placement, poor vibration, lack of curing controls, addition of water to work the concrete, or a combination of all of the above

As others have said, I would suggest a competent structural engineer look at it. Hard to tell, but some of the cracking looks to be excessive in nature to me. Would take a feeler gauge to determine extent of cracking. I would also ask for all subsurface prep protocol, reports, etc. Did it rain after the slab was placed as well?
MousepadMarauder
AG
I had a structural engineer come out and take a look. He said that it was nothing to worry about and was purely cosmetic. Made my wife and I feel much better. Thanks for the input.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.