Help killing Sensitive Vine/Mimosa Strigillosa

5,126 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmellba99
lj801
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This vine has completely taken over my lawn (St. Augustine). There is no pulling up by hand, at this point as it has invaded too much. Even when lawn is wet and I try to pull it up it just breaks off leaving deep roots. Any weed killer for this stuff that won't kill the grass too? I have tried a search, but most have said not much will touch it without killing grass too, but just wanted to see if anyone on the board has had any success? It is so entwined in the grass it would be impossible to just brush something on it without getting grass too.

I don't have pic in lawn but here is link to what it looks like. Can't believe some actually want this in their lawn in certain areas. It is awful.
agchino
AG
I have been using ortho weed-b-gon for chickweed (purple label). It did pretty good on the first application, but needs multiple applications.

I have bermuda though.
sleepybeagle
AG
I thought i had just about every weed you could have in my yard...but i don't have that!
ftworthag02
AG
Try trimec southern broadleaf herbicide w/ a surfactant. What's your pre emergent application schedule?
schmellba99
AG
My lawn was absolutely infested with it when I bought my house. Tried every type of normal weed killer with minimal success. 2, 4-d would brown it up, but it never really killed it. The woody vine nature of it makes it less susceptible to normal herbicides.

I ended up buying a de-thatcher from Tractor Supply:

Agri-Fab Thatch Remover

Loaded about 50 lbs of lead shot on it for weight, pulled it with my riding mower. Took several days to cover the enitre yard (I have a couple of acres), and I had a pile of vine that it pulled out of the ground that was about 20 feet in diameter and about 3 feet high when I was done. That was 5 years ago, haven't had much of an issue with it since. I have noticed a couple of areas that I didn't get real good last time that are starting to get some vine back, and some areas that border my neighbor's yard are starting to get some vine back - in a year or so I'll probably need to make a few more passes to pull out new growth.
[url=https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/agri-fab-48-in-lawn-dethatcher?cm_vc=-10005][/url]
[url=https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/agri-fab-48-in-lawn-dethatcher?cm_vc=-10005][/url]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.