Luxury Vinyl Plank / Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring?

4,000 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bam02
Dandy 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the process of replacing all the carpet in our bedrooms due to allergies, pet stains, etc and going with LVP or LVT flooring. For those who have installed this type of flooring, would love to hear what you have to say regarding the pro's and con's of it. Was it difficult to install (if you DIY'd)? Would you recommend floating or glue down? How does it compare to other types of flooring such as hardwoods or ceramic tile. Anything else that could help us in our decision - TIA.
Corps_Ag12
AG
- Scratches easily (ie bed frame dragged across it)
- Does not like being wet for long periods or puddles of water (glue will fail)

Other than that, it's a decent material. A lot of mid range apartments are using it in /living areas/kitchens/bathrooms these days because it's cheap & easy to replace if it gets damaged. I've supervised the install of probably 40k square feet to date.
ral2009
AG
We just had our whole downstairs replace with luxury vinyl plank. Depending on what brand you go with depends on the cost.

The reasons we chose ours is that it was the most durable out of the options we were looking at. I can only tell you about our product.

We went with usfloors coretec vinyl planks. We have a lifetime warranty on the product. It is 100% water proof, does not expand or shrink, does not scratch easily, and does not stain. From what I understand a bunch of people are starting to go to vinyl instead of wood or laminate and you can get the same looks and not even tell it is not real wood. I would highly recommend luxury vinyl plank. Ours is a floating floor as well with a cork underlay.
ral2009
AG

This is right after it was installed so it is still dusty and not cleaned

Kurt Gowdy
AG
What was the price/sf you are seeing, installed?

I met with a contractor yesterday and what he told me it would cost to put down flooring "floored" me.
Agmechanic
AG
We have coretec all through the kitchen and love it
ral2009
AG
Cost per square ft was 1.99. this included floor prep as well when I had mine done
AggieGunslinger
AG
I have it in two rent houses, one is lower end and has been rented for 3 years. I havent seen any water or scratching problems. Ours is free float though, not glued.

We are probably going to out the nice stuff in our masterbath.

Also, rip the carpet out yourself. Get a good mask and a carpet kniff and go at it. I did about 1200 sf in a few hours. Just cut it into manageable strips.
rancher1953
Like the looks of Cortex and the fact it can go over just about any flooring without a problem. Who sells it in the Katy area and who installs it at a good price???
Dandy 76
AG
Thanks for the responses. Spent some time at Lumber Liquidators last Saturday and have decided to go with an engineered bamboo. It blends in perfectly with the existing floor in the hallway and I think it will provide a little more cushion than the LVP/LVT. Cost is $2.29/SF and I will be installing it myself - floating.

However I definitely plan to use the luxury vinyl in the bathrooms when I get ready to do them.
aggiederelict
Transition pieces
Macpappy99
AG
Where did you find the coretec for 1.99? Cheapest I've seen is 3.69 and that's just for the planks.
Actionag
This is being installed downstairs as I type this. So far no issues with it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SMARTCORE-Ultra-8-Piece-5-91-in-x-48-03-in-Woodford-Oak-Locking-Luxury-Commercial-Residential-Vinyl-Plank/1000196677
bam02
AG
Macpappy99 said:

Where did you find the coretec for 1.99? Cheapest I've seen is 3.69 and that's just for the planks.

I was curious as well but I think they meant $1.99 was just labor. Hopefully they see this and clarify.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.