Mildew on bathroom ceiling

1,012 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Whitetail
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I rarely go upstairs to the kids bathroom, but I saw yesterday that there is a slight discoloration on the ceiling above the shower and it looks to be mildew. Probably a 4X4 section. I also looked and the ceiling seems to have been painted with flat paint. I guess I'll clean the mildew, but was wondering if anyone thinks I should repaint ceiling with semigloss or might there be a problem otherwise?
Aggiemike96
AG
Does your bathroom have an exhaust vent? If so, are the kids/visitors using it? You could change to an easier paint to clean, but I'd also recommend eliminating the cause, which may be due to residual humidity after the bath/shower is over.

On a side note, I caught my 7 year old splashing water on the ceiling a few nights ago. No exhaust fan is going to fix that!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Quote:

On a side note, I caught my 7 year old splashing water on the ceiling a few nights ago. No exhaust fan is going to fix that!

I was about to say... In the kid's shower, if there is a removable shower head... Get rid of it. That thing is a toy up until a certain age.
Also, 2nd what was said above about the use of the vent fans. Might look into wiring the fan into the light switch until the kiddos are old enough to know to turn it on separately during showers.
rlb28
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Quote:

I was about to say... In the kid's shower, if there is a removable shower head... Get rid of it. That thing is a toy up until a certain age.
Also, 2nd what was said above about the use of the vent fans. Might look into wiring the fan into the light switch until the kiddos are old enough to know to turn it on separately during showers.
They are 18 and 16... LOL!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Well... You might be out of the woods there then!
sleepybeagle
AG
I put in timers on the exhaust. You need to run them 15 to 30 minutes after the ahower is finished to get most of the moisture out of a bathroom.
Birddog
AG
When we re-painted my our boys bathroom I used outdoor latex and made sure they never left the door closed when not in use. We have no exhaust vent and we don't have problems.
JP76
Birddog said:

When we re-painted my our boys bathroom I used outdoor latex and made sure they never left the door closed when not in use. We have no exhaust vent and we don't have problems.

Fwiw when you use an exterior later inside, it can potentially cause health/allergy issues due to the fact that it is made to breath under exterior conditions and the mildewcide gets released into the air.
Birddog
AG
JP76 said:

Birddog said:

Fwiw when you use an exterior later inside, it can potentially cause health/allergy issues due to the fact that it is made to breath under exterior conditions and the mildewcide gets released into the air.
Thanks for heads up, just did the ceiling above the shower/tub and wall that extends above tile over tub. Gonna hope we are ok with that, been like that for about 8 years now.
will.mcg
AG
JP76 said:

Birddog said:

If it cleans up with water it can't be TOOOOOO bad.
Whitetail
AG
You didn't by chance install synthetic refrigerant additive (EcoZapp) to your A/C system recently?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.