Glass for shower stall

1,587 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by hurricanejake02
trip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to install a sliding glass door over a typical shower/bath combo. Kids are making way too much of a mess. What and where is the best place to get the glass for me to install? Go to a big box store or a local glass supplier. I live in Houston.

Is it Plain glass, safety glass or something else?
Does thickness matter other than looks?
Should I get a professional install? doesn't look hard but worried about unforeseen issues later. What could they be other than a good seal.

Any other help up front would be great.

Thanks in advance.

This is the look of the final product I am looking for

txag2008
AG
3/8" is typical thickness and all shower glass will be tempered.

Expect it to be pricey, I just had a 4x4' splash panel installed for $520 and that was cheaper than the 2 other quotes I got.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Go with the pros. Unless you personally and extra carefully framed measured, released, shimmed, and measured again I guarantee its out of square. Pros know exactly how too handle this.

I turned a tub into a walkin shower, and the walls were nearly 3/4" out of square after tile. Glass guys left and you'd never know!
hurricanejake02
AG
I had Johnson Glass out of Pasadena do my shower door - nothing as fancy as you've got there, but they did great work for a reasonable price.

ETA: I had them measure and make the door for my shower - box store shower doors all had a rail over the top that only let midgets in, they made a door to fit with the frame finish and glass pattern that I chose.
trip
AG
Thanks for the knowledge.
dubi
AG
I'd use smoked glass so all the soap / minerals don't show on the glass. Also the naked bodies don't show either.
Absolute
AG
Doing simple doors on a standard tub isn't all that hard. I would at least go look at the selection ad the big box stores to see if you like anything they have.
Throwout
AG
You can buy it at Home Depot and they'll install it for you.
ForeverAg
AG
I used Delta Glass for a 2 secions about 7' wide in total width and 9' tall. My quote was like $1500 and it came with shower guard. I would absolutely look into them again.
TexAg1987
dubi said:

I'd use smoked glass so all the soap / minerals don't show on the glass. Also the naked bodies don't show either.
We used a 'rain' pattern. Smooth on the inside for cleaning, textured on the outside.

Easy to clean and looks good even when you don't wipe it down every day.
dubi
AG
That looks fantastic!
hurricanejake02
AG
Same pattern I used.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.