Shower Floor - Is This Tile Job Acceptable?

2,378 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by hurricanejake02
We Dont Rent Pigs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Building a new house and this is the tile in the shower. Have gone round and round with builder and tile guys. I understand there is a chance for color variation in natural materials like this stone but I think this is excessive.

If it would have been mixed up better it may have been ok, but you can see where one box ended and the other began.

Just wanted someone else's opinion if this would be acceptable or not.

http://imgur.com/a/I7OfJ

TIA
PTXaggie08
AG
Is it the mosaic that changes color? Or is it the grout?

And no, when you can draw around the color difference, it needs to be fixed.
toolshed
AG
Nope, not acceptable. Although I'm confused as to how t happened. I assume the stone comes in sheets like other mosaics, and fits together. I'm wondering why the stone on the sheets isn't better mixed to prevent this, unless they used two different colored stone mosaics. I can't image big blocks of color like that would be normal with a mosaic, otherwise even if you mixed the sheets better, you'd wind up with a checkerboard pattern anyway.

I'd find out the name of the stone and look for images of it online if you don't already have a sample picture (more than just a square) of it to see what a larger area of it should look like.
Dr. Venkman
AG
This is a common problem with marble. It's not that the stone is different colors. The marble soaks up the water and takes weeks/months to dry out, if ever (maybe only take a shower once a month?). The cause is actually a huge debate in the tile industry and they are currently conducting tests (preslope, sealer, different quarries, etc). The general consensus is to simply not use marble in the shower, especially the floor.

In short, it is not the builder's fault. You may have a case if he did not do a preslope. IF you get him to replace it, go with something not marble even though it looks pretty.
Gary79Ag
AG
Ah man, that's just wrong on so many levels!

Either that's mixed tile or significantly different batches of the tile. They needed to have at least removed all the tile from the boxes and varied the pieces as they installed them or they should have never installed them and instead returned them to the store for correctly matched tile pieces!
We Dont Rent Pigs
This is a stone floor, not marble.

They came on precut sheets that were laid down and then grouted over. The grout is the same and was done at one time.

It seems to me that the mixture of colors in the rocks is what is throwing it off. The first tiles that were laid down are mostly light rocks with a few dark mixed in, where it is darker the rocks are mostly dark and have a few light ones mixed in. The cascade (can barely see the start of it in the picture) matches the lighter colored areas.

The shower has never been used so moisture permeation should not be a factor.
We Dont Rent Pigs
Thanks for the input. I was hoping to hear from some non biased experts on here and y'all didn't let me down.

It is still up in the air if they are going to replace it for me, and we are moving Thursday.

If they give me too much grief I may make the builder and flooring company Texags famous! This whole process has just worn me out.
EMY92
AG
On the plus side, that portion of the floor can get filthy and no one would ever notice.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Man, that really looks like the same color scheme that had a dark with light and a light with dark option...
For pre-formed mosaic sheets I'd be expecting far greater continuity. It's not matching, it's about continuity.
Dr. Venkman
AG

Quote:

This is a stone floor, not marble.
All stone is porous. What is the product? That looks like white marble.
Aggie1
AG
Either mixed batches or different colors altogether.
Matching different batches can be a headache - as shown?
Can happen with all sorts of tile, concrete, brick, etc., products.
When it comes on a backset square hard to compensate if there are any differences.
Not trying to justify the different appearances - just passing on some past experiences of my own...
jtp01
AG
I was in the construction industry for 13 years before my current gig.

That is most definitely NOT acceptable. Honestly, the installer should have noticed this (if they are a quality installer).

My suggestion is you need to have the owner of the install company out to look. Does he really want this job to represent his attention to detail and quality of work? Let then know this is doesn't meet your expectations. I'm really surprised your builder hasn't already communicated the correction will be made. That is just terrible service from your builder.

If after you have given everyone a chance to make it right, get them both in a room and let them know that if they aren't willing to correct it that you will post on every social media, review website and anywhere else you can the circumstances of the situation and the lack of response. Tell them they have total control of the review and social media posts with their response. Houses are too expensive to settle for a mistake like this.
Aggietaco
AG
1 more vote for lazy tile setters.

Good luck with having them remedy this.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I think they were paying tribute to Watto from Star Wars.

We Dont Rent Pigs
Thanks for the input. I think the builder knows it needs to be fixed but either hasnt put his foot down with the tile guys or maybe hopes it will go away since we move in 2 days.

I made it clear I was not approving his final draw until my punchlist was complete, and this is at the top. We will see how bad he wants it.
Texas Ag Mom
Just had something very similiar if not the same stone installed. Mine does not look like that. I would be happy to send you a pic of mine. texasmomjunk at yahoo dot com
Gary79Ag
AG
We Dont Rent Pigs said:

Thanks for the input. I think the builder knows it needs to be fixed but either hasnt put his foot down with the tile guys or maybe hopes it will go away since we move in 2 days.

I made it clear I was not approving his final draw until my punchlist was complete, and this is at the top. We will see how bad he wants it.
Just remind him that "One 'aw, sh/t' wipes out a thousand 'attaboys'" and if he doesn't get the tile guys to fix this like it should be fixed he's going to receive that one "aw, sh/t" and it's going to go out on the internet to his potential customers to see and hear about so he can either adequately remedy the situation now like it should be done or he can suffer the consequences. It's his choice!
sleepybeagle
AG
yea...when tiling, random isn't always "random". Just because you lay tiles down "as they come out of the box", it doesn't mean it will look like you did.

Yea - I vote this has to be redone. Ask the contractor if you could blindly pull a a few bills out of your wallet and expect him to accept that as payment.
Flashdiaz
AG
apparently the installer was a thundercats fan

We Dont Rent Pigs
I see it now too!
TexAg1987
Flashdiaz said:

apparently the installer was a thundercats fan

It's not a defect, it's a "feature"
hurricanejake02
AG
Looks like a box of a different color got mixed in - even batch variation shouldn't be that big. Any competent install should have caught that immediately.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.