HVAC Ceiling Vent Grill Direction

26,244 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by trip
iPanic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have been having issues with our HVAC system cooling down the house. I had a local contractor come out today and he said my ceiling vents are installed in the wrong direction.

Currently the grills are directed towards the room and he said they should be facing toward the wall/window area to combat the heat coming in from the wall.

Has anyone heard this? Seems odd to me but I am not a mechanical contractor.

NCNJ1217
AG
I'm not an expert either but the contractor's way seems to be correct. You will get better air circulation and a more uniform temp throughout the house by aiming the vents at the walls/windows.

The reason for this is, let's take summer for example, heat enters the house through a window or exterior wall and heats the air closest to the wall/window. You want that hotter air to mix more readily with the colder air coming from the A/C vent. If the vent is blowing into the interior of the room, it won't mix as readily, your temps won't be uniform, and you will have pockets of hot and cold air.
JP76
Always point them to blow towards the hottest part of the room

Wodanaz
AG
Contractor is correct.
iPanic
AG
Interesting. Thank you all for the help.
PTXaggie08
AG
Yep, every HVAC contractor that I've spoken to suggests pointing at the wall.

While this may be the correct way, I would not expect it to dramatically change the conditions in your home.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Do you have any ceiling fans in that room?
My Dad Earl
AG
Does this same bit of advice apply to interior walls? My master bedroom vent is right next to an interior wall that shares with the master bathroom. Should I point it towards that wall or towards the ceiling fan?
iPanic
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Do you have any ceiling fans in that room?
I do not have ceiling fans in the pictured room.
iPanic
AG
PTXaggie08 said:

Yep, every HVAC contractor that I've spoken to suggests pointing at the wall.

While this may be the correct way, I would not expect it to dramatically change the conditions in your home.
That's kind of what I was thinking. My unit has a leak in it the coils and I think that is my main issue. Replacing that would be about half the cost of a new unit. It is 17 years old and needs to be replaced anyways.

He gave me an option of the switching vents around and putting some dampers controls in the attic to divert more air away from the cold rooms to the hot. At this point I may just tough it out for the rest of summer and get a new unit in the winter.
trip
AG
Your contractor is correct.

You want the airflow to sweep the hottest wall. It will take care of the heat before you get a hot spot in the room and bump the thermostat temp down.

I work in the field.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.