Aggie couple saving old Galveston one house at a time

3,817 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Whitetail
GoneGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Came across this show this weekend, and it's pretty amazing. This Aggie couple are taking old "tear them downers" in Galveston, and restoring them one at a time.

It's pretty impressive.

They bought this one for $30k, it's a 1913 beach bungalow, put $100k turning it into this...

And sold it for $271k.

If you're into flipping shows, restoration of old properties, or just think it's cool seeing some of these old places in Galveston fixed up, check it out. They can use the support.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/save1900/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1553776201609116

Their business is called Save 1900, the show is "Saving Galveston."
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Dandy 76
AG
Good - maybe they will replace Chip and Joanna. I despise Baylor so badly now after all the crap that has gone on there that I can't stand to watch their show because I'll have to look at someone wearing a BU cap or shirt. Plus Chip drives me bananas with his juvenile behavior ( I guess I'm just getting old).
jgh85Ag
AG
Chip definitely outkicked his coverage.
htxag09
AG
What I hate about that show more than anything is how they live on the whole "we take the worst house in the best neighborhood" line. Maybe they did at first, but they've done some flips where I don't think I'd want to be at night.
62strat
AG
Nice to see some aggies on TV, but jesus, enough with the new shows and new characters. All these shows just have to pump character development over and over, and I get tired of it. There are new couples on the 'flipping' shows, some other couple doing old restorations.. 'HGTVs new power couple' ooh ahhh. The channels try and sell the couple more than the show. What happened to good ol bob vila or norm abram? It was all about the show, not the character. Flipping vegas was terrible about this.. there was more camera time on the dude and his woman arguing and not agreeing on things than there was actual rebuilding.

Any new couple that gets on TV at this point is in it to try and get famous. They want to be the next property brothers or chip/joanna. There is no other reason.

The Original AG 76
AG
Dandy 76 said:

Good - maybe they will replace Chip and Joanna. I despise Baylor so badly now after all the crap that has gone on there that I can't stand to watch their show because I'll have to look at someone wearing a BU cap or shirt. Plus Chip drives me bananas with his juvenile behavior ( I guess I'm just getting old).

I recently met a guy who was a family member of the Gaines. HE said that the TV Chip is the real Chip. He is that goofy and unpredictable. Before season 1 the producers asked that the Gaines add some drama and argue like the other TV couples. Chip and JoJo walked off the set and told them that they were not going to change. HGTV then , wisely, changed production companies and the rest is history.
It's a good show and I can deal with the BU crap. Damn near all the other HGTV shows are nothing but Calif freaks so a little Texas style humor and landscape is great.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I watched this show for the first time this weekend, very impressive what they do. And they are making some serious coin.
The Collective
AG
Is the blonde chick in Minneapolis still on TV? She was my fave.
sts7049
AG
this old house is still one of my favorites
Aggie Apple
AG
The woodwrights shop with Roy Underhill is the king in my book.
Dandy 76
AG

Quote:

Before season 1 the producers asked that the Gaines add some drama and argue like the other TV couples. Chip and JoJo walked off the set and told them that they were not going to change. HGTV then , wisely, changed production companies and the rest is history.
LOL - looks like Tarak and Christina complied with their request; went just a little overboard maybe!
p_bubel
CJS4715 said:

Is the blonde chick in Minneapolis still on TV? She was my fave.
I haven't seen a new show by her in a long while.
Build It
AG
That crap is not worth saving. It was cheap when it was built originally. For the money I can build a modern hardened home that would kick its ass.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's always worth saving.
schmellba99
AG
Build It said:

That crap is not worth saving. It was cheap when it was built originally. For the money I can build a modern hardened home that would kick its ass.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's always worth saving.
For "cheap"....it managed to last 86 years through about a dozen hurricanes and 2x that tropical storms.

And given the time frame it was built in, odds are it was not a cheap starter home for the time either. Way different set of standards between the 1930's and now concerning standard of living, available amenities, etc.

Most people aren't buying that house as a primary residence anyway - it's a weekend house that they buy because they like the fact it's not a cookie cutter design that has 7 more houses just like it on the same block.

And I'd argue that it was definitely worth saving - because they doubled their investment in it. Seems like a pretty good indicator that they chose wisely.
schmellba99
AG
62strat said:

Nice to see some aggies on TV, but jesus, enough with the new shows and new characters. All these shows just have to pump character development over and over, and I get tired of it. There are new couples on the 'flipping' shows, some other couple doing old restorations.. 'HGTVs new power couple' ooh ahhh. The channels try and sell the couple more than the show. What happened to good ol bob vila or norm abram? It was all about the show, not the character. Flipping vegas was terrible about this.. there was more camera time on the dude and his woman arguing and not agreeing on things than there was actual rebuilding.

Any new couple that gets on TV at this point is in it to try and get famous. They want to be the next property brothers or chip/joanna. There is no other reason.

Not sure why this is some revelation or source of angst...that's pretty much been the goal since these shows started. You think Norm or Bwob Villa did their shows just for the hell of it? No, they did it because it became a source of tremendous income. Kind of the entire point.
62strat
AG
Wanting to increase revenue and wanting to be famous are entirely different mindsets.

Bob villa came off as an actual carpenter with genuine interest in Carpentey. If he was talking, he was explaining some aspect of carpentry or how to do it. Most of the characters I see on tv now I can't say the same. More often than not if they are talking, it is something personal, or arguing, or just filler nonsense, or like tarec and christina they are at their house talking about how she just got back from the gym, and he found a house so they are gonna eat and then bring the daughter to grandmas house........
The Collective
AG
Call it the changing of our society. People are entertained by drama rather than helpful information.
62strat
AG
yet this old house lasted a few decades didn't it? I think there are enough people who just want informative programming that it can still be successful.
Satellite of Love
aggiepaintrain said:

I watched this show for the first time this weekend, very impressive what they do. And they are making some serious coin.

But its a small market. Galveston isn't going to make a roaring comeback.
SpringAg92
Looked for this show so I could record it this weekend. It is not showing in this weekends lineup. Was this a one and done?
Whitetail
AG
Season 1 episode 3 and new...guess their remodels are slow.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.