question on esthetically joining two materials - painted eaves with stained cedar

2,318 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Long Live Sully
35chililights
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my wife and I are in the middle of our first time building a home. the eaves will be painted hardie board and I wanted the outdoor living space to have either stained wood, or cedar on the underside (feel free to talk me into either one). But despite scouring the intertron for examples of this situation, i am still having a hard time envisioning how these two come together.

Here are the current plans:

Here are some ideas i had for under the living area:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

I'm sure that some of you on here have run into this, and maybe it is much more simple that i am making it. I'm assuming that you just run the common rafters to dead end on the top of the wall plate and use the wall plate as the transition. but if I do that, wouldn't I run into an issue with spacing once we are free of the house eaves above the wall plate like in Example 2? Somehow, they seemed to avoid that in example 3.

ideas?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Look at Ex 1... they frame out the gable with regular framing as it moves towards the patio. Over the exterior wall, which is load bearing its closed off and the rafters transition to the beams you're using in the patio. I think the patio roof just valleys through the eaves.

If there's no eave on the patio, which there's no need for since its an open space, the house eave can terminate there, or you might want a column there for it to terminate into to break the lines.

Or have I totally missed the question...
35chililights
AG
my issue is not at the gable end, but rather where the flat eve of the porch meets the vaulted eve of the porch shown with a red line here:

If I follow the design in the above examples there seems to be an airflow space above the horizontal side beams and the bottom surface of the roof caused by how the rafters meet that horizontal side beams (i called them wall plates in the first post, maybe that isn't what they are called in this instance).
While that air flow space wouldn't necessarily be a big deal once the vaulted area is past the flat eve, and we can likely block it from allowing air to flow from the vaulted space into the hollow above the flat eve, the corner shown in blue is especially hard for me to picture in my mind how it will end up.

again, i may be making too big a deal over this. first time build and all has me questioning everything.
04.arch.ag
AG
Why don't you run the wood for the entire porch area. It's maybe another 200 sf of area.
sleepybeagle
AG
All of that work just so you can watch Tennis?
NickNaylor
sleepybeagle said:

All of that work just so you can watch Tennis?
All that work so the person you want to have sex with can watch Tennis.
sleepybeagle
greenman99
AG
I think you are not thinking about the roof line. There won't be any visible rafter tails until you get past the flat portion of the patio. They will block between the vaulted beams and the horizontal beam with the same material that is used in the ceiling of the vault I would recommend doing it flush with the vaulted side of the horizontal beam so there isn't a shelf there for birds and wasps to live.
TexAg1987
Why not carry the exposed roof look around the corner into the small patio/porch?
Long Live Sully
AG
You are going to regret the cedar in 5 years when it has to be restained. Areas exposed to the sun will darken and not match the covered space. You will never be able to get them to look the same.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.