How much for a electric water heater install?

1,263 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Copp
SA Ag 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 10 yo A.O. Smith bit the dust Friday a.m. I am a little disappointed - expected more out of it since I have a water softener.

Anyway, heater is in the garage, floor level, easy access. I have been quoted $800 - all in. That seems a little high.

TIA.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Nothing to add on the price. But thanks to the Feds, make sure the you will have enough space for a new install. New heaters now require more insulation and are thus wider than they were 10 years ago.

Edit to add: Assuming you are moderately skilled in pluming and are ok with working with 220V, this could be a DIY job. That said, $800 does not seem too bad.
Matsui
AG
$800 seems like a solid price.
Aggiemike96
AG
Is that quote just for install or install plus water heater?

And, as stated above, I'd consider doing it myself.
dubi
AG
If that is both parts and materials maybe.

Is your house to current code? My mom's hot water heater started leaking in a 1968 house and she called the plumber. It was $900 labor just to upgrade to current code.

Our last one was maybe $500-600 parts and Mr Dubi's free labor on a gas hot water heater.
SA Ag 91
AG
It was actually $860 for heater and labor.

Did some checking around and even saw somone in our community magazine that advertised for $999.

Happy with the work and the price.
Copp
If that is a licensed plumber that's not a bad price. If just a handyman, make sure T&p valve is touted correctly and with correct material, if gas raise 18" off ground, if gas your county may require drip leg to be up to code, if inside make sure drain pan drains correctly, etc
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.