whole house water filter sytems

1,697 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr. Nobody
Micropterus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My house is on well water and we have alot of sulfur plus hard water, among other things. Terrible taste and smell. The filtration system we have is a rental and came with the house when we bought it. Its over 20 years old and doesn't really do much of anything that I can tell. I had a guy come test the well, and all he would tell me was my water was bad (no kidding). Wouldn't give me water test results unless I bought his 3K water system.
Anyway, when I do a search on whole house water systems all I get is a bunch of ads and why each manufacturer's system is the best on the market. Is there any place to get non-biased information on a decent water filtration and softening system? Does anyone have experience with or have a particular system that has worked for you?
Appreciate any help you can offer.
sleepybeagle
AG
Yes, Sulfur in well water making drinking very difficult.

The first step is to understand what's really in your water. If you don't know what's in it, you don't know what you need to filter.

Here's a good article Water purification
CDC info on water Well Treatment

My only well was in San Marcos 1021 feet down into the Middle Glen Rose aquifer. The water was awesome, but did need a softener.
Micropterus
AG
Thanks Beagle. Of all the sulfur removal systems I've read about, chlorine injection seems to be the most popular. I've found a lab that will test for bacteria, and looks like the state water lab will test for ions present. So once I've figured out what exactly is in the water besides sulfur, does anyone have any brands or companies they would recommend?
Dr. Venkman
AG
TCEQ has a list of approved water treatment systems for the big public utilities. Start there to see if those same companies make residential units.
Mr. Nobody
Chlorine/Peroxide Injection, filter to catch what is oxidized, water softener...that should take care of most common problems short of tannins, anions, and high TDS.

A variety of medias work in the "filter" portion of this set up which is why you get so many companies claiming they have it solved.

I like catalytic carbon or katalox light systems the best as the media, but catalytic carbon, Katalox light, Filox, probably just a straight up zeolite if injection is enough, or even just a basic coconut shell carbon (not the best filter, but it would work)would work.

MOST recommendations are going to be catalytic carbon/Katalox/Filox based for that part of the system.

Fleck control valves are usually the best carried online with the 7000 usually being the best offered. Clack are my favorites, but they aren't be sold except through dealers. I like Stenners on the chemical feed pumps. Centaur and Jacobi are good brands on the catalytic carbons.

So in total most estimates should be 3500-4500, with their cost on equipment being about 1000-1500 depending on sizes. Should be around 2000 for 10x54" tank systems online if you want to DIY.

Not going to vouch for the sources in these, but here's examples of the equipment I'd get (assuming you don't have a host of other problems you don't know about/didn't mention):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IRMB3B2/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500335217&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=stenner+pump+with+tank&dpPl=1&dpID=41Awr5%2BuymL&ref=plSrch

http://m.sears.com/fleck-7000-sxt-94fl-7000s-meter-48-000/p-SPM7972595307?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrNDZqcKR1QIVgkOGCh33Bg1jEAkYBSABEgIMm_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN64-7HCkdUCFVAUgQodzEcA8A

http://www.qualitywaterforless.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=F%2D70T%2DCF10
(Make sure to change the menu on that one to centaur carbon and a black tank if you actually were to order there).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.