Gutter draining via catch basin - running to tree root zone?

1,355 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Koko Chingo
FTAG 2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I've got two gutters in the backyard, currently they drain out onto a concrete block drain that disperses slightly into the yard, but that seems to just flood the area right around the concrete drain blocks.

Would like to do something better with the water. I've got a pecan try that's roughly in between the two gutters, out about twenty feet in the yard.

I'm thinking of putting in a catch basin / drain grate, attached to PVC, and running out into the yard. Ideally I'd like to run both the pipes to the area where the pecan roots start (not all the way up to the tree, just upstream from the roots, so to speak).

Is there anything wrong with this idea, any gotchas, etc? I know i need to do an air gap between the bottom of the gutter downspout and ground level grate, but would running the pipes like this to the root zone work?

Thanks in advance for the expertise / information.
FTAG 2000
AG
Bumping this up, hoping someone can advise.
Koko Chingo
AG
I do not have anything to offer in the arena of what is good/bad for your tree.

You can have your downspouts dump into a catch basin and flow out through the black corrugated plastic pipe and have the water come up via a pop-up emitter where you want it.

I have a square catch basin taking water via black corrugated plastic pipe right up to the curb and exiting through a pop-up emitter. All the water goes into the street. It works very well.

This one is hard to comment on without knowing some other variables. Maybe draw a rough sketch, scan it in and post it. It doesn't have to be perfect. Show things like slope, property lines, fences, streets, downspouts, pecan tree(s) along with distances. Also what the surface is where water will come up near your root zone established lawn, sandy soil, clay, etc.

Will water pool up or just run-off? If it rains will diverting water provide a benefit?
How about rain barrels and a pump to a hose or drip?

Is this a residential lot?
In the city limits? If yes, what city? (there may be rules on where you can drain)

https://www.ndspro.com/square-catch-basins?product_type=394

https://www.ndspro.com/pop-up-emitters

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.