Insulating door knob holes

8,233 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by UnderoosAg
NCNJ1217
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So last year we had all of our interior doors and door frames replaced in our approx 40 year old house. I don't know why I didn't notice it sooner, but yesterday when the AC was running full blast, I noticed air escaping through the door knob holes in the interior doors. Apparently during installation there was no piece of wood placed in front of the doorknob holes, so air is escaping directly into the walls. It's not a huge deal but I would like to plug or insulate these holes somehow without affecting the operation/appearance of the doors or door frames.

Is this something spray foam would take care of, or is there something else better? Concern with spray foam in such a small space is that it would expand too much.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Doorknob holes?
Escaping into the walls? Huh?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
U mean the strike plate on the door frame?

NCNJ1217
AG
Yes, the hole where the latch resides when the door is closed. Thanks, Not on top of my game today with vocabulary.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Just pump whatever in there just deep enough not to affect the fuction of the door
Not a big deal
Aggietaco
AG
They make dust boxes/cups that fit behind the strikes for HM frames.
TexAg1987
NCNJ1217 said:

Is this something spray foam would take care of, or is there something else better? Concern with spray foam in such a small space is that it would expand too much.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dow-GREAT-STUFF-Window-and-Door-12-oz-Spray-Foam-Insulation/1036803

Minimal expansion so it doesn't put pressure on door frame.
tgivaughn
AG
WHO did this install????

Agreed, any insulation poked into hole works, more the better.
Yes, window foam OK if you train yourself outside with gloves on something disposable, then fewer worries + expansion/overflows could be directed into that hollow wall instead of outward into strike if carefully planned
UnderoosAg
AG
TexAg1987 said:

NCNJ1217 said:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dow-GREAT-STUFF-Window-and-Door-12-oz-Spray-Foam-Insulation/1036803

Minimal expansion so it doesn't put pressure on door frame.

DON''T.
GET.
ANY.
ON.
YOUR.
HANDS!!!!

They aren't joking when they say to wear gloves. That **** doesn't come off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.