Staining concrete

1,132 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DamageDone
jgh85Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We want to replace the vinyl in our kitchen. Thinking about pulling it up and just staining the concrete.

Is this a DIY job or not. On a scale of 1 to 10 i would out myself at a 4 on DIY skills.

I figure if we don't like it, we can cover it up with flooring.
87IE
AG
I am pretty handy but wouldn't tackle that one...

My experience (and bad luck) is that there will be a lot of adhesive stuck to the slab when you pull up the vinyl.

From my understanding you will have to grind the floors before staining and I'd end up screwing something up (letting the grinder get away from me and poke a hole in the wall, rupture a gas line and then cutting an electrical circuit which ends with a boom).

aezmvp
87IE said:

I am pretty handy but wouldn't tackle that one...

My experience (and bad luck) is that there will be a lot of adhesive stuck to the slab when you pull up the vinyl.

From my understanding you will have to grind the floors before staining and I'd end up screwing something up (letting the grinder get away from me and poke a hole in the wall, rupture a gas line and then cutting an electrical circuit which ends with a boom).

Dollars to donuts he's right. Might save a bundle if you do the demo yourself however.
jtp01
AG
I spent 13 years in the decorative concrete industry and have done my own office floor in my home. The biggest factor is the surface prep. With the vinyl, the adhesive will be tough to get off. Rent a floor prep machine and you will be good to go.

As for the staining, do not, I repeat do NOT buy at a big box store. Go to a supply house such as Whitecap, CMC or Ram tool.

Also prepare to spend money on good sealer. Remember the higher acrylic solids content, the more glossy it will look. I used a 30% solids sealer in my office.

Do not try to "hide" cracks, accentuate them and make them a part of the "design". Remember if you are staining a large area, there will be some variation in the actual color.

Is the job diy? Absolutely if you can run a floor prep machine, use a pump up sprayer and a paint roller, you can stain floors.
DamageDone
AG
I am interested in polishing/sealing my homes concrete floors in Houston. Currently covered with glue down wood. Any recommendations on a contractor to talk to?
jgh85Ag
AG
Thank you.
jtp01
AG
You bet. With over a decade in the business, I'm not scared to do it myself (actually have done a few side jobs since leaving the business).

As for a recommendation in Houston, call some of the supply houses listed and ask who they would recommend. Pretty standard practice for them to send you the guys that buy volume. You don't need volume if you aren't pretty good.
DamageDone
AG
Thank you
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.