Fireplace remodel

2,642 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Whitetail
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hopefully the pictures work with google photos...

I turned this

into this

It was not as easy as I thought it would be, took much longer than expected, and wasn't fool-proof like ledgestone products claim to be. Certainly not perfect, and of course I notice every little problem/mistake since I did it myself.

Still need to do something with the top; crown molding, simpler molding, try to fill in with stone pieces, or just thinset/caulk. Will take input.

AgLA06
AG
Photos don't work for me on mobile
aezmvp
Or desktop.
aezmvp
Without seeing your photos (yet) I can tell you that with things like AirStone or other stone like products it can be very difficult to cut those pieces to size without them splintering. If you don't have a wet saw I'd highly recommend trimming the outside and then thinking about a way to make that part of the design. I finished a project like that earlier this year. It turned out okay.

Hope you can get the photos fixed.
Sazerac
AG
showing now?
aezmvp
cclearman said:

showing now?
Yup! It's a nice job. Whats the gap up top? 1/8" to 3/4"?

Also looks like the middle has significantly more gap than the sides. I'd probably trim it or frame the top or the tap and then against the walls to set it apart even more. If was trimming the top, I might tie it into more crown molding around the room.Just a suggestion.
Sazerac
AG
it's probably 1/2"+ on the left and 1/8" on the right.

common 2" crown doesn't really fit the fireplace or the rest of the room.
could try to do some 1-1.5" pine and stain it like the mantle.
try to piece some strips of stone into white thinset?
just thinset/caulk (may stand out too much.
Aggietaco
AG
Backer rod and caulk to match. No one will notice but you.
Sazerac
AG
It's actually close to 1" at the worst (middle? and 5/8" at the least.

I think caulk may look distracting since the gap isn't uniform height. Thinking a trim piece will look better. Even just a simple 1.5" high by 3/4" depth
aezmvp
cclearman said:

I think caulk may look distracting since the gap isn't uniform height. Thinking a trim piece will look better. Even just a simple 1.5" high by 3/4" depth

Maybe go with a flat trim piece for a more modern look?
Aggietaco
AG
cclearman said:

If the gap is that large I would probably work on fitting some stone in those gaps.
Sazerac
AG
I went with fitting in stones. Lokks great!
Beckdiesel03
AG
Looks great- a nice update!
tgivaughn
AG
cclearman said:

Still need to do something with the top; crown molding, simpler molding, try to fill in with stone pieces, or just thinset/caulk. Will take input.

I prefer the Spartan look, as if the stone goes through the ceiling w/o need of trim or any projection which may require some caulking.pointing skills ... you obviously have.

I think I've seen this fireplace before ... haven't I????
Good work!
Splitag
AG
dubi
AG
Very pretty!
Sazerac
AG
if anyone is thinking about doing this themselves, it was about $1500 for about 6' x 8'

Ledgestone Panels & Edges ~$500 Floor & Decor
Hearthstone ~$475 Apex Stone in Sealy (2-3 week leadtime, pickup yourself)
Mantle ~$225 wayfair (it looked much nicer online; I could have made almost the same for about $40 and a few hours)
Misc: ~$300 (think I used 5-6 bags of thinset; sponges, buckets, diamond mitre saw blade, angle grinder and discs, trowels, caulk, stone sealer, drop clothes, 2x4s for bracing, nitrile gloves, high temp paint for firebox)

It was 11 different sessions of working on it, which really sucked having to set-up / clean-up each time, especially dealing with thinset.

1. thinset scratch coat entire fireplace
2. base 2 layers, stopped to make the only horizontal cuts through angle bracing required
3. finish base layer to hearth
4. level hearth area with thinset and let dry
5. install hearth
6. seal hearth
7. side layers to top of firebox
8. half the rows above firebox
9. final rows
10. install mantle
11. last 1" fill in
Whitetail
AG
Looks really nice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.