Need Help: Fence needs upgrading to meet code for new pool

2,812 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by crowman2010
crowman2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's my dilemma:

New pool built, have to make existing patio/driveway fence taller, to 54" (current fence is about 44" tall, 4x4's are about 36" out of the concrete). I don't want to bust up the concrete so I'm hoping my idea will work.

Is it possible to use the existing 4x4's and just make them longer by attaching another 12-16" 4x4 on top? I'm thinking about possibly drilling a into the existing 4x4's on top to have "pin" for the new post to sit on. I would use wood glue to seal the connection, and then use some Simpson strong tie connectors to bolt the two together.

Do you think this would work?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Wouldn't it be easier to just install taller pickets?

Keep current 36" posts, put runner along top edge of post and secure there?

ETA: sounds like your plan will work though
Mathguy64
AG
I did this once to raise a bird house. The 4x4 I set in the ground to put the house on (it dropped over the top of the 4x4) wasnt tall enough according to the chief engineer/designer at my house. So rather than rip out a 4x4 that I had already set in Quikcrete and put another in, I decided to drill a hole in the top of it, inserted a long piece of all thread rod, drilled another into a second chunk of 4x4 and sat that on top of the rod. Unless the two holes are perfectly aligned and straight you will be very unhappy. And thats not really a joint with any strength. To further stabilize the joint I scabbed on bracing strips on all 4 sides. That doesnt change the fact that part way up the 4x4 suddenly angles off in one direction.

YMMV
crowman2010
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just install taller pickets?

Keep current 36" posts, put runner along top edge of post and secure there?

ETA: sounds like your plan will work though
I was thinking that would work as well, but I wasn't sure if the pickets needed to be supported higher up. Plus, there is a gate that will need to be supported higher up as well (not to mention the latch has to be at 48" high).
crowman2010
AG
mathguy86 said:

I did this once to raise a bird house. The 4x4 I set in the ground to put the house on (it dropped over the top of the 4x4) wasnt tall enough according to the chief engineer/designer at my house. So rather than rip out a 4x4 that I had already set in Quikcrete and put another in, I decided to drill a hole in the top of it, inserted a long piece of all thread rod, drilled another into a second chunk of 4x4 and sat that on top of the rod. Unless the two holes are perfectly aligned and straight you will be very unhappy. And thats not really a joint with any strength. To further stabilize the joint I scabbed on bracing strips on all 4 sides. That doesnt change the fact that part way up the 4x4 suddenly angles off in one direction.

YMMV
How much taller was the extension 4x4 on top?
sleepybeagle
AG
I've never done this - but there's a whole lot of options and ideas out there for extending 4x4's. You're not alone.

example 1 link Here's one example of cutting joints in the posts and screwing them together

They also suggest using metal joiners

Here's some other ideas with demonstrations.

Here's a company that actually makes a product to do this

Pentrest has a whole page with some good ideas

Good luck!

crowman2010
AG
sleepybeagle said:

That looks like the best solution! that with the braces would work just fine I think. Much appreciated!
Mathguy64
AG
crowman2010 said:

mathguy86 said:

YMMV
How much taller was the extension 4x4 on top?
About 4 ft.
DadAG10
You just spent $$$$$ on a new pool.

Spend $$$$ more and do it right so it looks good.
dallasiteinsa02
You may also inquire about the cross beam distances on code. Most require no cross beam be less than 4 feet from the next cross beam. This prevents climbing over using the cross beams. At our old house, we could have a bottom cross beam unless we went a foot higher on the fence.
crowman2010
AG
Send the $$$$ on over then bud. I'll gladly spend yours
crowman2010
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

You may also inquire about the cross beam distances on code. Most require no cross beam be less than 4 feet from the next cross beam. This prevents climbing over using the cross beams. At our old house, we could have a bottom cross beam unless we went a foot higher on the fence.
The cross beams are on the inside of the fence only, not the driveway side. I did some measuring last night, I think the notching method will work just fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.