Garage door openers

1,972 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Whens lunch
StoloAg2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to install a new garage door opener for a 2 car garage door. Assuming 1/2hp. Any good brands to shoot for? Big difference between belt drive vs chain? I would think chain would last longer, not sure if that's accurate though.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I've used nothing but chains on my first house (one opener) for 10 yrs and now my second house (2 openers going on 5+ years). I have never had any issues. Keep the door lubricated and get it adjusted/tuned-up every few and you should be good, IMHO

Marvin_Zindler
AG
I've been satisfied with Liftmaster. And I love the MyQ remote capability. It comes in handy from time to time.
JayG80
I want to try the Liftmaster Elite 8500 when my current chain drive dies. No chain, no belt and some good reviews. It mounts to the garage door pipe.
sawemoffshort07
AG
JayG80 said:

I want to try the Liftmaster Elite 8500 when my current chain drive dies. No chain, no belt and some good reviews. It mounts to the garage door pipe.
Same. Had I not bought a 3/4HP on sale 3 years ago and this was more mainstream, I wouldve gone this route.
UnderoosAg
AG
Belt drives tend to be quieter than chain.
Gary79Ag
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Belt drives tend to be quieter than chain.
^^^^
This. Much quieter!

Once you go belt, you won't go back!
Martin Cash
AG
Marantec. EOT.
StoloAg2010
AG
That's all I was about to find out on belts is that they are quieter. Wasn't sure if there was anything else. Neighbor is gonna pay me to replace their opener since the circuit board burned up and the fell and almost hit her car.
falconace
I recently swapped one of mine for the 8500 when the original belt drive opener died. So far, it's pretty quiet.
Ag In Texas
AG
JayG80 said:

Will be installing two of these units in our new house in a few months.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I have a Craftsman 3/4HP belt-driven model that replaced a Craftsman 1/2HP chain-driven model about a year ago. The belt is FAR quieter than the chain ever was. We have a bedroom located right above the garage, and you never hear the door opening or closing when in that room.

My new one also has a thing called Assurelink, which allows me to operate the door opener from my iPhone if need be.
VAXMaster
AG
Chamberlain, Liftmaster, and Craftsman are all made by Chamberlain and that accounts for about 80% of all openers sold. MyQ allows you to have a dedicated phone app but it doesn't allow you to integrate your garage opener into many smart home platforms like you can with a traditional push button control and add-on Z-Wave garage door controller. Like others have said belt drives are quieter and the only way to go if you have a room above the garage.
Whens lunch
AG
Hey...get one of these things, load it up with options and tell us what you think.

Ryobi WIFI Garage Door Opener with all the Bells and Whistles

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.