Will St. Augstine just die from heat if I plant it now? Dallas, TX

1,296 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Gigemags05
EagleCamden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here we are June 19 and I need to plant a pallet of Saint Augustine sod in the front yard of one of my rent houses in Dallas. Is the heat just too great for the grass to survive, the next few months even if I set the sprinkler to water every night at that station?

Please advise

Thanks
AgResearch
AG
If you water at night it will die from fungal infection. Water first thing in the morning (like 5am morning.).

Agronomist/Weed Scientist, Ph.D.
bblake06
AG
I'm in Dallas and laid 2 pallets last August after some foundation work. It looks fantastic this year. I did a daily deep watering in the mornings with the sprinkler system and hand watered with a hose when I got home from work. I think I did that for about 3 weeks and then cut back to every other day. After about 2 months or so, I was on my regular watering schedule.

Don't mow it for about a month once you lay it. When you do mow it the first time, mow on the highest setting and bag it. After that, keep mowing it on a high setting to help it get established.
Gigemags05
AG
You can lay sod year round.

As stated above, do not water at night, water early morning. St. Augustine is very susceptible to fungus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.