AC Question

1,597 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by My Dad Earl
billies_64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As I'm leaving the house to be on the road for a week, I realize my condenser unit is on but there is no air blowing out my vents. I go outside to see if it's a tripped breaker and then notice than the air blowing out of the condenser is cold instead of warm like it should be. Thinking it's a frozen coil I then turn off the unit at the thermostat at the condenser still won't turn off. I finally flipped the breaker off and the unit stopped and that's where I left it until I get back next week.
I've got a buddy that's going to open the house for me so that I can get a technician to come out and look at it.
Any idea what might be the issue? Unit is 12 years old and we replaced the blower motor on the condenser last year.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Blower motor on the evaporator coils not working? No idea why the compressor didn't turn off when you shut down at the thermostat...
akaggie05
AG
With the information you provided, I'd guess a stuck contactor on the outside unit. Inside temp reached set point, thermostat cycled off (cutting off your indoor blower in the process), outside unit continued to run with contactor stuck in closed position.
billies_64
Akaggie you were correct. Turns out the contractor was stuck. Technician came and fixed it. Everything else was in working order. Appreciate the feedback gentlemen.
Mucho austin
AG
I wish all my AC issues were this serious.
billies_64
So here's another question:

Unit is running fine. Takes a while to cool the house when I get home, but that's usual from what I've heard especially based on how hot and dry it is here in Central Texas. I can't remember how long I've heard it, but there is a hissing type sound in the walls of the house where the condenser line runs. There's no ice on the coil or lines, unit is cooling fine, and when tech came to fix original issue he checked freon levels and said they were good to go. The sound is very faint, so I'm thinking it's just the sound of air traveling but want to see what y'all think.

Like I said this has been going on long enough that I would think if it was a refrigerant issue I would have seen more signs by now.
Dr. Doctor
AG
billies_64 said:

So here's another question:

Unit is running fine. Takes a while to cool the house when I get home, but that's usual from what I've heard especially based on how hot and dry it is here in Central Texas. I can't remember how long I've heard it, but there is a hissing type sound in the walls of the house where the condenser line runs. There's no ice on the coil or lines, unit is cooling fine, and when tech came to fix original issue he checked freon levels and said they were good to go. The sound is very faint, so I'm thinking it's just the sound of air traveling but want to see what y'all think.

Like I said this has been going on long enough that I would think if it was a refrigerant issue I would have seen more signs by now.
The hissing sound is probably the freon moving in the lines. My house, if you go to one bedroom, you can hear it going. Especially if both units are running.

~egon
WLW12SPJ
AG
Somewhat of a small hijack. Inside unit of my HVAC system is in a closet...not in the attic. The unit/house will be five years old this August. Should the condensing unit in the closet sweat? For some reason I'm thinking it shouldn't. It sweats enough to get some moisture on the wood floor the unit sits on, which I wouldn't think would be good over time.

TIA...
My Dad Earl
AG
Mucho austin said:

I wish all my AC issues were this serious.
This. I just dropped $600 last week to recharge my system with 5lbs of R22...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.