AC Filter question

1,387 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fourth deck
Cloud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our home we built last year has a filter at the furnace (the big one) and one on the air return vent in the hallway. Is it necessary to have the one on the return? I don't want to tax the system more than necessary.

tia
Absolute
AG
You should only use one filter. The big one at the unit is preferred.
BrazosDog02
AG
I think You should use cheap fiberglass in your returns downstairs, especially if you have pets. It catches the big stuff and keeps that crap from going through your return before it gets to the filter.
tgivaughn
AG
I think both the above opinions are of like mind, so I agree ... depending on what you are sending to the filter(s) (the big one is expensive!) and ability to find a freely air flowing cheap primary one that fits and gets changed very month. These sell in packs of 4 and maybe Amazon will Prime send them if not in local stores.
My Dad Earl
AG
Absolute said:

You should only use one filter. The big one at the unit is preferred.
This. I didn't realize that they made filters to be installed in the air handlers and I made the mistake of using one there and one in the return. The A/C guy came by my house and said that was making the system work extra hard so I was spending extra money.
Absolute
AG
The big ones have greater surface area which will allow them to provide better filtration with less air flow restriction. Still don't go nuts trying to get the highest level of filtration possible. Stick with something middle of the road like MERV 8.

Unfortunately, they are more expensive and don't necessarily last as long as they advertise. I recommend changing then quarterly. HVAC filters are kinda like car oil changes, better to err on the side of more often than not often enough.

Watch for sales online, you can often find half price deals and stock up.
Whens lunch
AG
We use the cheapest filters we can find at the return grills because they "whistle" a little without a filter installed. The filter at the return air plenum on the air handler is doing the real work.
fourth deck
AG
Had new air handlers installed with the big air filters that are Merv 11. Thought I wasn't supposed to put filters on the wall return vent as well. HVAC tech came by for a tune-up recently and said the system could handle more pressure drop, and to cut down on all of the dust I was getting on the big expensive filters, put a cheapo filter on the wall return vent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.