Lost ceiling fan remote

2,244 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sleepybeagle
springtxag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The remote for a ceiling fan in our study is lost. The pull down strings were removed when the fan was installed so I can't turn on the fan or the light. Turning the light switches on and off does nothing.

The replacement remotes that I have found all include a part that would need to be installed within the guts of the fan itself. I'm trying to avoid doing that.

Is there a way to simply set the same code in the new replacement remote as is in the current guts of the fan itself? Note that the fan is 11 years old. Guy at HD said it probably wouldn't work because the new remote wouldn't be able to "talk" to the old guts within the fan (even if I match the codes). Is this guy correct?

Thanks.
Old School Brother
Those are usually just a few pin DIP switch. You'd just have to open the fan up to find the code for the unit that is already up there. if the replacement remote has the same number of pins, you should be able to set the same code and it would work.
springtxag
AG
Ok. Assuming it's the same number of pins (which I can confirm by looking at a remote for a similar fan in another room) can't I just do some trial and error on the combinations of pins up and down on the new remote? It's a huge PITA to get up to the fan itself given the height and configuration of the room.
Aggietaco
AG
Sure, there's only 16 combinations with 4 I/O switches. You probably can't buy just a remote though, so you'll end up with the new module anyway.
Agmechanic
AG
1. Buy pull cords from favorite box store
2. Remove trim ring from fan at ceiling
3. Remove 3 screws.
4. Let fan hang
5. Remove factory "box" (white thing size of a deck of cards)
6. Black to black, white to white, green to green or bare copper.
7. Throw away box removed in 5
8. Reinstall errything else
9. Add pull chains to fan
10. Wall switch controls power to fan, pull chains turn lights on/off and fan on/off
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
Matsui
AG
Boom mic drop
springtxag
AG
Thanks but as I said above no. 2 is not doable without turning the whole thing into a huge PITA project given the height of the ceiling and the configuration of the room. Was looking for a quick fix as I have no time to tackle the bigger job now.
_lefraud_
AG
Have you tried clapping?

Seriously though, remotes to fans have to be some of the dumbest things ever.
Convincingly
AG
New fan will be less hassle
dubi
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Have you tried clapping?

I love remotes! Nothing like laying in bed and adjusting the fan speed!
Old School Brother
did you get this fixed? should've just been able to try all combos if the remote has the same number of switches as the control box
My Dad Earl
AG
dubi said:

_lefraud_ said:

Have you tried clapping?

I love remotes! Nothing like laying in bed and adjusting the fan speed!

I hate 'em. Nothing worse than not being able to turn on/off the lights or fan because you've misplaced the remote or your dog or toddler has gotten a hold of it.
dubi
AG
No dogs and grown kids.... try again!
CalAG
AG
Since you have the same remote in another room, I would move that remote to your problem place and work on the switches with it to get it working. (Make sure and record the original switch positions so you can move it back to its starting point easily)

If you get that one working then you can buy a remote for the room you took it from. If you find one that works, with the know switch settings, then you are done. If not, then you can change out the control box in that room.
sleepybeagle
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.