Should I get a Wifi sprinkler controller?

4,963 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
MidnightYell2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need a new controller for my sprinkler system (only 7 valves) and wondered if it was worth getting a "smart" controller versus regular controller. I don't have Amazon Alexa or many other smart devices (except for an Ecobee thermostat).

tia
Slappy74
AG
I personally do not see the value, especially if you have a rain sensor. I view my sprinkler system as program and forget. Just adjust it seasonally.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I just got a Rachio 2nd generation. I set everything and haven't had to touch it. I have it tuned into a local weather station and it has skipped 3 cycles due to rain (2 of which were for predicted rain, where thankfully it did in fact rain). Also, based on characteristics I gave each zone, it altered the schedule to run each zone twice for smaller amount of time...

I run about 950 gallons per cycle, so it will be interesting to see the savings

I don't have alexa or anything either, but being able to control things over the web and see what exactly is going on has helped.
DallasAggie89
AG
Rachio
txag2008
AG
If you're in need of a new controller I don't know why you wouldn't get a wifi one.

Is it worth replacing a perfectly good controller to get a wifi one? For me personally no, but that's up to you.

I have a Rachio gen2 and I'm happy with it, but you'll be in good shape with any wifi one. I'm diligent enough with it that I'm not a big fan of the 'auto' watering. It's the same premise with wifi thermostats and the Nest. It's great for people who are clueless or not on top of things, but kind of overkill if you like to control things and tinker on your own.
MEENag
AG
Have a Rachio gen 1. I'm busy with life and it allows me to maintain a watering schedule without wasting a bunch of water during rainy weeks with zero effort. Worth it to me.
Olag00
AG
Rachio
Leeman
Build your own- Raspbery Pi and a block of relays.
MikesFamousJava
AG
The answer to your OP question is yes! Lots of reasons as described....also, when boys linger at the door with your daughter...he gets the hose! Solicitor comes to the door...he gets the hose!
Cloud
Rachio. Pays for itself.
Smokedraw01
You could add this if need be...

http://sprinkl.io/?v=1-3&utm_expid=123922017-0.te86vjJ6TIGTAB7Ie-8Tiw.2&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Like stated above, if you need to replace a controller, there is no reason not to get a wifi one. In which case, get the Rachio. I love mine and it's pretty awesome to be able to set everyone from an app. No more crappy/confusing timer settings ever again.
CapCity12thMan
AG
http://www.woot.com/offers/rachio-2nd-generation-smart-sprinkler-controllers-4?ref=soc_twit_w

Get one for cheap
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
Rachio is the real deal.. if nothing else it makes you feel like a lawn irrigation God when you walk around your yard, phone in hand, commanding the sprinklers to do your bidding at the touch of a button.
Olag00
AG
TaterAg said:

Rachio is the real deal.. if nothing else it makes you feel like a lawn irrigation God when you walk around your yard, phone in hand, commanding the sprinklers to do your bidding at the touch of a button.
not to mention when you see a cat or loitering kids on your lawn, you can ask Alexa to turn on which ever zone is needed.
Duncan Idaho
I've got a rainmachine. It does what it promises.

http://www.rainmachine.com/

The best thing about them is being able to turn the sprinklers on an off while watching them. Very handy when a head needs fixing
TXAGEE
AG
I have the Orbit B-Hyve and have been very pleased with it.
Whitetail
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

http://www.woot.com/offers/rachio-2nd-generation-smart-sprinkler-controllers-4?ref=soc_twit_w

Get one for cheap
Thanks, finally in for one.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I had a bit of trouble with my initial setup. I think what I concluded was - your phone is part of that setup, as the controller and your phone app will communicate over wifi directly with each other. I finally donned on me that I have two wifi signals, and each was connected to different signals, hence my troubles.

Point is - make sure your phone and the device you are connecting are on the same wifi signal and you should have no problem.
FincAg
AG
What happens if your WiFi signal goes out? Why does everything have to be operated by a smartphone?
Flashdiaz
AG
FincAg said:

What happens if your WiFi signal goes out? Why does everything have to be operated by a smartphone?
because it's easy, convenient and dedicated remotes suck.

I would think if the wifi goes out it sticks to it's normal schedule... it may not know if it's raining if it happens to be rain during the outtage.
CapCity12thMan
AG
http://support.rachio.com/article/462-connectivity-concerns-and-backup-schedules
sawemoffshort07
AG
FincAg,

You can run Rachio from their web interface as well. You can always run a manual schedule that does not require wi-fi capability., but that kind of defeats a smart sprinkler controller.

Also a word from a problematic installation, the network you install on HAS TO have a password. We put one on an unsecured network (home in the middle of nowhere) and it would not take...eventually figured it out.
FincAg
AG
Ah interesting. Thanks.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Flash,

I believe you are right. If it loses signal, it sticks to its last planned schedule until it regains wifi (assuming the "Smart schedule"). Not terrible but could water when not needed and vice versa.
Scriffer
AG
Nm
aftershock
Smith said:

I have the Orbit B-Hyve and have been very pleased with it.
Installed one of these about 3 weeks ago, works like a champ. My old controller went out and the rain sensor had never worked. This new thing detects rain in the forecast and puts the system on a rain delay. It is super nice being able to check my zones without running back and forth to the controller.
Kind of needed to replace it in a hurry, and I got it at Home Depot for same price as Amazon. Installation was pretty simple. Didn't seem any harder than installing a non wifi controller. Setting it up with the app was a breeze.
CapCity12thMan
AG
It took me < 1 hour to install mine, including the weatherproof box, since mine is outside. I had to go buy an external power cord, since the Rachio plug is on one of those really large plack plugs and can't be outdoors. It plugs into the box, and then I wire-nutted the new cord from the wires in the box and ran that to an outlet that I also waterproofed. The box was $30 or so, $8 for the cord.

Streetfighter 02
AG
I really like mine. I bought a Gen 1 Rachio on deep discount from Amazon. Bought an Orbit box and installed the Rachio sideways so it fit properly. I've had it hang in the on position one time without my noticing. I unplugged the box and it hasn't happened since. No explanation as to what happened that time. It's great that it skips watering if it's raining or has rained in the last day or so. The old system at my previous house had a rain sensor that never worked.
DeBoss
AG
Love my Gen2 Rachio. Definitely would suggest it. So much fun to turn it on from my phone when the kids and wife are not expecting it while playing in the backyard.
dubi
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Get one for cheap

So I purchased one and it arrived yesterday. Invoice said:

Quote:

Rachio 2nd Generation Smart Sprinkler Controllers
$149.99
Sold by Woot, Inc.
Condition: New - Non-Retail Packaging
Model: 8 Zone

What arrived said "New - open box". It seems to me that "open box" is not longer new. How do I know if something is missing or broken?
CapCity12thMan
AG
Mine had four basic parts:

Controller
Plastic cover
AC plug
Screws

As far as something being broken, I would hook it up, set it up and see if it works. If it doesn't then complain and get your money back somehow.
dubi
AG
Thanks!

I will do a quick inventory. I had not even opened it.
CapCity12thMan
AG
http://thewifigarden.com/rachio-generation-2-smart-sprinkler-controller-unboxing
RAT90
AG
Hey, those with a rachio, which watering schedule do you use? One of the fixed or flexible or your own?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.