Child proofing a pool?

2,801 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Kenneth_2003
Old Jock 1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have specific recommendations? As a general principle I don't like the fence systems based on looks, but if that's best, that's what we'll do. What about the big nets that you install?

This will be our first pool -- we are buying an existing home with one. Yes, I have a lot to learn!
Bregxit
AG
We got one of the Katch-A-Kid nets and they work well. They can be a bit frustrating until you get the procedure down but they're great. They are also pretty pricey. I think ours ran about $850 installed but that is better than finding your toddler lying on the bottom of the pool.
Aggietaco
AG
Fence with locking gate and alarm, rigid cover or net and underwater motion alarm is what I've always heard recommended in addition to constant supervision.
aezmvp
Old Jock 1997 said:

Anyone have specific recommendations? As a general principle I don't like the fence systems based on looks, but if that's best, that's what we'll do. What about the big nets that you install?

This will be our first pool -- we are buying an existing home with one. Yes, I have a lot to learn!
The fence isn't forever. Both of the solutions above are great. We'll be doing the same thing later.
Old Jock 1997
AG
A custom net might be best because there's a water feature that will make a fence tough.
TexAg1987
They make some "less than permanent" pool fences to get you by the toddler years. they are removable in the event you are having a party, etc.

Swimming lessons and a pool alarm too.

MPython43
The primary thing to remember is there is no such thing as "child proofing" it.

Constant supervision and the child learning to swim as early as possible are the 2 biggest barriers to a tragedy.

As far as tools to help keep them away from the pool go, though, I recommend the fencing above all else. All the options are pretty ugly, nothing is as pretty as just looking at the pool, but fences will allow you easier access and the ability to properly service the pool. Covers, unless automatic, are much more cumbersome to remove so you will not use the pool as often as you will with a fence. This will also prevent you from doing the weekly maintenance steps that are in the best interest of your pool's long-term health.

I think this is our last year to keep the fence up, and I can't wait for the day I get to throw that thing in storage forever.

You will become numb to the alarm and it will be worthless within days/weeks.
Candiru
AG
I second the Katch A Kid. Once engaged, it's like a taut tennis racket webbing over the pool. Can also buy a custom solid fabric to lay over the net during winter to be a leaf guard.
BrazosDog02
AG
Get the pool kid proofed, but more importantly, get your kid pool proofed. For us there was a lot of comfort knowing that your fully clothed child could fall in a pool, flip over and float for a long time....

Definitely get the pool safe...but just an idea to double up on the life saving stuff. Plus they LOVE water now....like fish.
ag0207
AG
We have a fence, extra locks on our exterior doors & a door chime if anyone goes outside. My kids are still young enough that they are only outside when we are. I looked at all the systems prior to making a decision & went with the fence. My main reason for going with the fence was that if we had a party & took the cover/net off the pool & it went into the late night ours would I put the cover back on at 2 am? If I didn't & something happened there is no way I could live with myself.
aggie_wes
AG
My neighbors installed a cover on the theirs that is in rails and when closed can support an adult. As long as that cover is closed, there no getting in the water.

I don't know what it cost but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. It's the closest thing I've seen to "kid proofing" though.
flown-the-coop
AG
I also went with the Katch-a-Kid net vs fence for aesthetic preference. We used it religiously when the little guy was very little, then less so once he was a proficient swimmer.

But we also had a high lock on back door, door chime, and motion detector. But the most important thing we did was what others have suggested, we did swimming lessons from 2yo on. And he starts every summer with additional lessons. Helps re-center him on pool safety, rules, swimming and floating.

The net is about 10 minutes to install once you get the hang of it. One thing I would have done is put a permanent rack for coiling it up. The PVC rack has about a 2-year life. One final note we liked about net was that if we were leaving the kid with grandparents while we went on a trip, the net went on and the pool was off limits.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Thank you for the replies.

Our two older boys are good swimmers so we feel good about them. Our 3-year old is the concern -- he is very curious and has no fear, a potentially deadly combination. So the precautions are largely for him. He is in swim lessons this entire summer, but I don't expect him to be proficient until after next summer at the soonest.

We are still undecided on the fence vs the net. The net is a little more aesthetically pleasing for us, but definitely a bigger hassle. We haven't completely considered a pool cover yet, but that may be better still given the winter factor. From above, it sounds like a cover over a net might be an option as well? I'm calling Katch-a-Kid today; they do nets, covers, and fences.

Any specific recommendations on an in-pool motion alarm and door alarms? Looks like a company named Poolguard sells both on Amazon and the reviews seem ok for the most part? We're hopeful that with a combination of deterrents and two hyper-vigilant parents, we'll be ok.
OnlyForNow
AG
I think most pool alarms monitor water level and splashing.

Just take that into account before/when buying.

We went with a fence instead of catch a kid netting. I was NOT impressed with the polypropylene rope that was used and it, imo, has a lot of flex.

They'll have to drill anchor holes into the decking no matter your choice. The company we used for the fence has a lifetime replacement guarantee for 100% of the fence, for any reason they'll replace as many sections as we want. When our kids our older, we pop out the fence, store it and have unabated access to the pool.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I agree with everything posted above...

Since most of it has been repeated a couple of times I won't say it again. However, this was just mentioned once.
INSTALL A HIGH DEADBOLT LOCK ON THE BACK DOOR! Put it out of reach of all of the kids and use it religiously. If you're worried about fire escape you can get in a routine of unlocking it at night, and only using it during the day when the kids are scampering around.

Also regarding door alarms... If you've got a security system I think most of them can be set to chime when the doors open.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.