Custom Build Crappy Painter - Options

1,828 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tgivaughn
Enviroag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the final stages of a fully custom home build in Rockwall. The painter has left us completely frustrated and dissatisfied. The builder says there will never be a perfect paint job and this painter is the best one he's ever seen. This painter did not remove any of the cabinet doors, some cabinets are smooth and some are like sandpaper. The edges of drawers still show tan wood through. There are paint drips, globs, and rough speckled paint throughout. The builder continues to say they will make it right but at this point they are in "managing our expectations mode" instead of actually making it right. Some of the cabinets have 7 coats of paint on them with no improvement. Has anyone dealt with this before? We are considering going over our contract with a lawyer to determine what our options are.
beachfront71
AG

Hopefully you haven't paid in full with the builder.

We remodeled our kitchen and 2 months later all the paint was cracking and peeling, turns out the painter used the wrong primer.. good news is they came back and sanded all down to wood and re sprayed.

If they are going to refinish the cabinets I would have them spray them, its harder to touch up down the road but looks way better for cabinets and doors. This is prob something many people dont call out when building or remodeling.

There can be a perfect paint job but it is done by spraying not brushing .. and yes they can do it onsite with the right prep, they dont need to take it all out. Doors drawers can be done in front yard..
Enviroag02
AG
It was all sprayed. None of the doors were removed at all. The large chunk of money for the painter has been paid and we only have a couple thousand left to be drawn on our construction loan. I'm thinking we will have to go the mediation and find another painter.
jtp01
AG
At this point, you need to speak directly with your builder. Let him know that it is not acceptable and you want it redone properly. If they are not willing to do that, bring the lawyer into the mix.

Generally a frank conversation will get the point across. Document the conversation with an email to verify what was discussed during the meeting.

In my opinion, jumping directly to the lawyer is a way to hurt the relationship between you and the builder. Remember, they will be on the hook for the punch list and if the relationship deteriorates the attention to those items will leave a lot to be desired.
GtownRAB
AG
If it is true full custom home like you posted, I would push the issue and get the cabinets done right. I would except quality trades for a true custom home.

It could be the painter is excellent at painting houses, just not cabinets, which are completely different. You could try to call the builders bluff and ask for references of custom cabinets that specific painter painter has painted for them. If the references look good, show them that is the finish you want. If the references look bad, tell them you want a new painter.

Not removing doors and hardware is a big red flag they didn't know what they are doing. Paint companies also sometimes have various crews. The A team might of been busy, so your home got painted with the B or C team even though it was the same paint company.

CapCity12thMan
AG
after dealing with substandard work in my bathroom remodel. Don't pay anymore money, be VERY direct, specific and upfront about how you expect this to get resolved.

They will either do the right thing and fix it, or they will walk.

If you have already paid, you feel kinda stuck if they walk. If you haven't paid you have leverage. A lot of this stuff is dependent on the structure of your contract and how far you are already in financially. It's a strange spot for sure, but you need to do your best job to convince this person they need to fix it.

Using terms like 'implied warranty' and 'professional workmanlike manner' should give some hints about certain codes/laws the project must follow...if it gets to that in the conversation.

good luck

EDIT: might also want to make them aware how serious of an issue this is by a certified letter. State your dissatisfaction, use photos, be as detailed as you need to be. Talk is cheap, but starting this process with something in writing (which might actually be part of your contract anyway) might be a better strategy. Doesn't need to come from a lawyer, but will let your builder know you are serious.

When my remodel quality started to show signs of poor workmanship, I brought it to their attention. They demanded to be paid the next draw on the schedule before proceeding with repairs and I refused. They terminated their contract and then put a mechanics lien on my home - for the FULL amount of the project (after leaving it in disarray and in complete). Fast Forward to just last week, the statute of limitations in which to file suit on the lien expired...so they never pursued. I would like to take them to small claims, to recover some monies I already paid for some of the work, but I just don't know if that is worth it. Trying to talk to an attorney is becoming difficult.
BrazosDog02
AG
As a home owner who as actually done drywall, texture, paint, etc...I can't imagine what level of incompetence must exists for a pro to **** it up. Id be so pissed. I hope you all get it cleared and fixed. Ugh....
Gary79Ag
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

As a home owner who as actually done drywall, texture, paint, etc...I can't imagine what level of incompetence must exists for a pro to **** it up. Id be so pissed. I hope you all get it cleared and fixed. Ugh....
You'd be amazed at what's out there. Seen it first hand on a drywall texture job...
tgivaughn
AG
BBB gives free resolutions, supposed to apply those "in the business" to help work things out
IF you don't simply want to fire builder & withhold whatever it takes (get bids) to make things right, as contracted.
No painter referrals? Go to best paint store in city with photos and get referrals to do over.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.