New gas line to island kitchen

1,725 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have experience with having a new gas line run to an island kitchen? How much of a hassle was the project? Approximate cost? Looking at moving and most of the houses we are looking at have smooth electric cooktops without an existing gas line. Numbers I have heard are in $10k area, so want to figure into cost of house. Sugar Land, so houses are slab (no such luck for pier and beam) Yes, I know... induction, but wife and I both want gas. Thanks.
stridulent
AG
Do the houses even have gas coming in?
Sazerac
AG
i'd suggest not putting it in an island. can route it much cheaper through a wall
sleepybeagle
AG
You have two choices - run it thru the slab or bring it down from overhead. Either way has pluses and minuses.

Overhead might be the easiest as it's the least destructive, but you'd have to somehow figure out how to make it look good with decorative column's. There are firewall considerations as you probably also have an exhaust running near by - but it's probably the cheapest.

You can dig up your slab and bury a pipe. The pipe should be isolated in PVC or ABS pipe to keep it dry or perhaps vented.

The dog approves.

DrEvazanPhD
Buy a house with it already installed.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Can't see the cost/risk/reward aligning for this project.
aezmvp
Ducks4brkfast said:

Can't see the cost/risk/reward aligning for this project.
If you're already gutting the kitchen, it's not that bad because you're already tearing everything out. You will see some additional delays for inspection and of course the work. Those are the main concerns. If you're not and it's just a hey I really want gas over here, well I guess it's a question of just how bad do you want it?
OnlyForNow
AG
So our house in Richmond isn't plumbed for gas in the kitchen but it does have a gas line in the attic for the utility room, which ends on the same wall/side of the house as the kitchen. So when we re-do our kitchen we are running that line to the kitchen area and down the wall and into a new range.

If your house doesn't even have gas plumbed to it... eeek don't wanna know what that'll cost.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.