New Pool Owner

2,710 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PTXaggie08
PTXaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just bought a house a couple weeks ago, and it has a pool/spa. Roughly 20,000 gallons, DE filter, one skimmer and a main drain in the deep end and the spa. Polaris pressure side automatic cleaner.

Been living at Leslie's trying to get the chemicals right, and they are also educating me on maintenance.

My dilemma: filter and pump seem to work out just fine when the multiport valve is in filter mode, but when the valve is turned to backwash, the skimmer doesn't seem to suck as hard, and the sight glass doesn't seem to ever clear out.

Same thing when I turn it to waste.

Thoughts?

TexAg1987
Backwash is backwashing your filter grid. Why does it matter how hard it is pulling from the skimmer? The system never really gets to full pressure because it is pumping to drain. Least resistance is probably from your main drain.

Sight glass sometimes gets some debris that won't clear out, but as long as the majority of the water is clear, you are ok.
BigNastyNate
AG
You need to visit troublefreepool.com

Great resource for general information and can no doubt troubleshoot whatever issue you may have.
PTXaggie08
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Backwash is backwashing your filter grid. Why does it matter how hard it is pulling from the skimmer? The system never really gets to full pressure because it is pumping to drain. Least resistance is probably from your main drain.

Sight glass sometimes gets some debris that won't clear out, but as long as the majority of the water is clear, you are ok.
But why is the waste not pulling hard?

Reason I care: Im trying to drain the pool to the bottom of the skimmer to turn the water over a bit. (Leslies wants me to do this in an effort to lower cyanuric acid)
ag0207
AG
Get yourself a good test kit and visit trouble free pool as Nate suggested. Leslie's will cost you a lot of $$$ and will likely keep you chasing your tail.
The Original AG 76
AG
Call Texsun and get there $89 DE filter clean. It's worth it plus the guy will checkout the system for you . I do this once a year.
TexAg1987
PTXaggie08 said:

TexAg1987 said:

Reason I care: Im trying to drain the pool to the bottom of the skimmer to turn the water over a bit. (Leslies wants me to do this in an effort to lower cyanuric acid)
Same reason.

Whether it pulls water from the skimmer or the bottom drain, it is still lowering your pool level. Leslies wants you to remove the chemically high water and replace it with fresh water. I don't believe it makes any difference where the water comes from. Draining it to the bottom of the skimmer is just a measuring point and the point at which the skimmer starts sucking air and loses suction. If you do not have isolation valves, this is about as low as you can go before the pump loses suction.

You may have a moveable flap at the bottom of your skimmer that can rotate between two holes. One would go to the drain and one to the pump. If you close off the hole going to the drain, you would increase your suction at the skimmer. Yours may or may not be plumbed that way. Mine is not. Mine has isolation valves at the pump.

If you have the valves, you could turn off the bottom drain completely or turn off the skimmers completely. For instance, I can drain my pool almost completely by turning off the skimmers and pumping to waste from the bottom drain. Or I can do a fast skim of the top of the pool by turning off the bottom drain.
PTXaggie08
AG
TexAg1987 said:

PTXaggie08 said:

TexAg1987 said:

Same reason.

Whether it pulls water from the skimmer or the bottom drain, it is still lowering your pool level. Leslies wants you to remove the chemically high water and replace it with fresh water. I don't believe it makes any difference where the water comes from.
I'll have to look at the bottom of the skimmer and see how it is plumbed. There are not valves at the pump other than the selection of spa or pool. (I obviously have it set on coming from the pool)

But I ran the pump valve on "waste" last night for a solid hour, and the level didn't seem to drop at all. Is that normal? Should I have been more patient?
TexAg1987
Not normal.
You should see a drop within a few mins.
Waste should do the same as backwash except it should route the water directly out without backwashing the filter.
Where does your backwash water go?
PTXaggie08
AG
I'm assuming into the sanitary sewer system? I've walked all around, and nothing is wet around my property line. So I don't think it's going to the alley or street.
TexAg1987
Does pool level drop when backwashing?
TexAg1987
http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_a_multiport_valve_operates.aspx?CommentPage=1
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Yes - in normal operation the water comes out of your pool, into your filter, then back into your pool.

In backwashing mode, it comes out of your pool, through your filter the other direction, then out your backwashing line.

Whatever water makes its way through & out of the filter is gone.
TexAg1987
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

TexAg1987 said:

Yes - in normal operation the water comes out of your pool, into your filter, then back into your pool.

In backwashing mode, it comes out of your pool, through your filter the other direction, then out your backwashing line.

Whatever water makes its way through & out of the filter is gone.

I know it is supposed to. Asking OP because his water level is not dropping when pumping directly to waste.
PTXaggie08
AG
No, the water level does not drop when backwashing. (which is odd, right?)
TexAg1987
Yes. Because the dirty water is supposed to be going to waste.

Look at your valve and see where the waste line is plumbed to.

PTXaggie08
AG
It goes to separation filter, which then leads to a pipe in the ground separate from the pipes that feed the pool and spa jets.
TexAg1987
Is your separation filter working? maybe it is clogged?

My system doesn't have a separation filter, I pump mine directly on the ground, so I am not familiar with that setup.

That may answer your question about the sight glass never clearing up too.
PTXaggie08
AG
yeah, as I typed that out, the same thought occurred to me. I am going to take a look tonight when I get back to the house.
TexAg1987

This image shows it plumbed back into your pool system, which would keep it from ever going to a sewer.

If this is the case then the only way to drain water from your pool would be to do it manually (by dropping your cleaning hose into the pool and starting a suction) or cutting in a valve and 'T' (where the return valve is shown) to divert the water out of the system and to a drain.
PTXaggie08
AG
yes and yes. And supposedly the separation tank has a hose connection with a valve. Updates to come after I take a look tonight.
PTXaggie08
AG
Ok, I have figured out how to drain it. The line between the the filter and the jets has a valve that I connect to a hose. It's a slower drain due to the size of hose, but it works.

But, after understanding my system a bit better, I think my multi port valve is leaking. When in filter mode, not only does the main return line have water moving in it, but the backflush line does as well.

Same scenario when in backflush position. I've got a repair guy looking at it tomorrow.

Appreciate the help, I'll keep you guys updated.
TexAg1987
The multi-port valve has a gasket that could be leaking.

Good luck. It will be much easier once you know the system.
PTXaggie08
AG
yeah, after a bit more time on youtube, looks like the multiport valve has a "spider gasket" that can fail. Roughly $20 + labor. We will see what the repair guy says...
TexAg1987
PTXaggie08 said:

yeah, after a bit more time on youtube, looks like the multiport valve has a "spider gasket" that can fail. Roughly $20 + labor. We will see what the repair guy says...
Labor is just unscrewing the top and switching them out + lube. You can do it yourself if they try to gouge you.
PTXaggie08
AG
Well, the pool guy was worthless. He said we just needed to clean the filter. (in broken English)

Honestly, I think that's all he knows how to do, so that's what he pitched.

Bought the spider gasket today from Leslies, paid $7. Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to look at it.

(for the record, I did clean the filters... It actually made it worse. I think the residual DE was helping keep some water in...)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.