Whole House Municipal Water Filter and Softener

1,291 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Enviroag02
Enviroag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for recommendations for a whole house water filter and softener system. I have a Rinnai RL94i tankless water heater and PEX manifold system with PEX lines throughout. 2.5 bath 3 bdrm home. The Pelican 10GPM combo looks decent for around $2,000. Anybody have any better systems for cheaper?
strohag
AG
Have your water tested first. A lot of the Moore Supply's will test the water and recommend a system based off your water quality.
213 Grove
AG
strohag said:

Have your water tested first. A lot of the Moore Supply's will test the water and recommend a system based off your water quality.

This. And I believe they carry Watts systems and I've seen them under $1k
Mr. Nobody
Late the party but...

Don't do a pelican system. Nobody I know that has them (or similar systems) are really happy with them vs. a traditional water softener.

If you want it anyway and understand how your water will turn out, fine. But you will not get the water quality of a traditional water softener.

Ideally I'd think 10"x54" tank, 1.5 cu. ft. systems should be fine, and I'd prefer each tank (carbon/water softener resin) have individual control valves. Several systems exist to do carbon/softener with one valve, but if you can do it with individual valves, you're better off as the carbon should really be changed out every 3-5 years on municipal water.

Don't venture outside of Clack/Fleck/Autotrol on control valves (Fleck is your most likely to find online, Clack only sells water dealers, but are what I personally prefer if price was close to equal).

schmellba99
AG
I had my water tested a while back - basically calcium hardness off the charts, which didn't exactly surprise me.

After talking with a lot of the engineers I work with, ended up buying an Aquasana Rhino system with their Simply Soft water softener. Didn't want anything that required power for the softener or filter. This thing will supposedly last 10 years before replacement of the main filter body is required. Haven't installed it yet, but will see how it goes over the next few weeks after I get it put in.

Lots of research on my end, this one seemed to be overall the best value and even those that didn't recommend it first still had good things to say.
dallasiteinsa02
I have been researching them as well. My problem with Aquasana is they only have a 7 gpm flow rate.
Enviroag02
AG
The aquasana, like the Pelican, is actually not a softener right? It's a descaler which is different.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.