Shower/Tub Remodel Ideas

1,850 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by beachfront71
NawlinsAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I currently have a average walk in shower next to a garden tub, very common setup. I want to remove the tub and make an awesome walk-in shower situation. Anyone have suggestions on the best place to look for layout ideas for this? Or I can even post dimensions to get people's ideas if you'd be interested in doing that too.
The Fife
I wouldn't mind reviewing a basic drawing of the space with some measurements.

When it came to redoing ours I looked a lot on Houzz. Also pictures from the plumbing suppliers I was deciding between were helpful (Grohe/Dornbracht/Hansgrohe websites for example). The design went through easily 2 or 3 revisions. The first one is rarely very good, second greatly improved and the 3rd is where the details get refined.
Quinn
AG
Wife and I have two bathrooms that we would like to re-do in the next few years, so I will be watching this closely.
sleepybeagle
AG
My wife and I upgraded our bath in upstate NY and took out the tub to make an extra nice shower - the main cost was the frameless glass. I wanted to go with an open concept where you don't have a door, but where it's really cold, you don't really want a shower that's not enclosed as you let the heat out. It was awesome...and then we moved. So our new house has the same problem : ) so I'm probably going to be doing this again.

My wife found all kinds of pictures and examples on Pinderest which we used to design ours.

I think now that we're back in the Dripping Springs - we're going to go with a walk-in doorless design.

CapCity12thMan
AG
you might just grab a few beers and browse houzz.com for awhile...build your ideabooks to drop things you like in them to browse later...

https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/large-walk-in-shower/nqrwns
Quinn
AG
I might try and post a drawing of our bathroom/closet/master bed room next week. Bathroom is tiny, but we think we could expand into the closet, then expand the closet into the bedroom.
aezmvp
Quinn said:

I might try and post a drawing of our bathroom/closet/master bed room next week. Bathroom is tiny, but we think we could expand into the closet, then expand the closet into the bedroom.
When doing all that, first idea is to figure out structural/non structural. That's the first thing that will whack your budget and if not planned properly or if you do it in phases will really screw you. I'm looking forward to this thread!
NawlinsAg05
So here is a quick sketch of my overall bathroom. We're going to re-tile the whole area, change our the sink/vanity's to something a bit more modern, and remove the tub and make a large shower area instead.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how exactly I want to lay out the new shower. Use half walls, all glass, where the shower heads are going to go, etc. Also, we have this weird bonus room in between our bathroom area and the walk-in closet. I don't have any good ideas of what to do with it, so it's kind of dead space. Any suggestions? I'll post actual pictures later if that helps.

beachfront71
AG
Is drawing to scale? I.e. 1square=1ft
What is foundation? Slab or beam?

What you looking to spend?
Sazerac
AG
It's hard to say without dimensions.

I'd either:
- keep the general layout, just create a long walk in shower
- if that's too skinny, move His sink to the shower area and do the shower in a modified L shape against the back wall
- with way put the controls right at the entrance!!

For the closet, that is awesome.
- extend the closet space
- if wide enough add an island cabinet
- else built in or standalone drawers or wardrobe along a wall
- chair for putting on/ taking off shoes,unless she has one with her vanity
NawlinsAg05
The drawing isn't 100% to scale, but it's pretty close. I can get further dimensions of certain areas if that helps. I also have some pictures attached here (sorry for the crappy quality). But it kinda gives you an idea of the closet, bonus room, tub/shower situation.

Here are the shower/tub area. The column there, it isn't load bearing, so I don't have a good reason why the contractor put it there in the first place other than to try and make it look fancy.

Here's closet area looking in from the bonus room. Going to remove the center shelving and replace with a bench of sitting area to get dressed.

Bonus room. Still not really sure what to do with this area.
Ikanizer
AG
I recently removed a jacuzzi tub and converted our shower to a walk in type. Yours looks to be a similar layout. I spent about $4200 on materials. The tub was to the right of the old shower enclosure under the window. If you are doing the work yourself go slow and make sure everything is level, flat and straight! I just noticed the photos are in reverse order. Finished walk in shower is on top. The tub removal was a struggle would recommend breaking it up in place. [img][URL=.html][/URL] [URL=.html][/URL] [URL=.html][/URL][/img]
beachfront71
AG

without some semi major remodeling .. I would try and keep/replace the tub for resale purposes if anything

it looks like easiest would be to lose the closet by toilet, move entrance door down towards toilet and possibly reduce to 28/30 inches assuming your drawing is 1 square = 1 foot...

then blow out shower that way which looks to give you approx additional 2+ feet based on pictures which is huge for a shower and you dont have to mess w/ plumbing unless you want to add additional shower head(s)

you can refresh the existing footprint with some tile/marble, etc and give it a whole new look

if that column by tub/shower can go .. you could remove it and combine the shower and tub arches into one big one which would really open things up and again would be minimal work if not a post...

I would also consider taking out your sink and making one nice double vanity where hers is to clean it up in there..put a 32" flatscreen there and you are good to go.

if you still need more space and assuming cost is in play, you could look at removing tub and puttign freestanding tub there at an angle to gain another foot or so for shower width..

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.