Before and After: Master Bedroom/Bathroom Project

3,770 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Fife
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Same format as the last before/after pic thread, but this time with the random 'after' pics up front because it ranged from hard to impossible to get pictures from the same place sometimes due to walls coming down and going up.

These pictures were a reminder of how truly terrible the old layout was and how there was zero storage space for anything (we also purged some during this). From start to finish this one took a bit under a year. Waiting 6 months on the carpenter to make the hamper really slowed things down a lot but it didn't hold up any other part of the project.

Bedroom

Master Bathroom

Half Bath

The Fife
Before and After - Bedroom

The Fife
Master Bathroom

The Fife
Other Areas
Enough walls moved so that before/after pictures of the closet and half bath either don't make sense or are completely impossible.

Her Side Before

Her Side After

My Side Before

My Side After

Family Room looking towards Bedroom

View towards Half Bath

Old Half Bath

aezmvp
Amazing job sir!
OnlyForNow
AG
It llooks and is amanzong.

But did you really have a power cord strung across the floor at a door way?
txag2008
AG

Really nice job with the finish out and being imaginative with the new layout.
The Fife
OnlyForNow said:

It llooks and is amanzong.

But did you really have a power cord strung across the floor at a door way?
It was for a phone charger that happened to be there when I took the picture, it was usually not there. Also there wasn't always a doorway - that was something I added in the renovation phase before this one.

Genius previous owners deleted a closet and 18" off a bedroom when they made the hallway to access the new master bedroom when the addition was built. Because houses made in the 1950s come with all this extra storage space...
OnlyForNow
AG
Well it's an amazing job man. Not my style (too modern) but looks like a freaking pro did it.
Aggietaco
AG
Great job, Fife. Keep up the good work!
OnlyForNow
AG
What did you use for the floor in the shower?
The Fife
The floor tile is Daltile porcelain - CN91-Steel Structure in 20x20. The coefficient of friction is such that it isn't slippery when wet so there are no problems using it in or around a shower, and it might be ok outdoors. It absolutely needs grout release before grouting though.

edit:
It's installed on top of SunTouch radiant floor heating. The drain in the shower is a Kerdi linear drain. Large profile tile on a shower floor is very easy to install that way, the actual tile layer in there took maybe 45 minutes and the area as a whole was done in a weekend + evening for some of the final random pieces.
OnlyForNow
AG
Dude. You rock! I asked precisely for the slipping potential and you did not dissapoint.
Purple Parrot
bedofbrass33
AG
Outstanding work with a great finished product!

Two questions:
1. Where do you get the vision/inspiration to turn out a matching, coordinating product? My 1969 model is going to need a revamp at some point and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out a style.
2. Can you share some of the resources you used to order material like tile, light and plumbing fixtures, etc?
03_Aggie
So, the bedroom doorway picture with the wife and cat in the before and wife and kid in the after....intentional?
The Fife
bedofbrass33 said:

Outstanding work with a great finished product!

Two questions:
1. Where do you get the vision/inspiration to turn out a matching, coordinating product? My 1969 model is going to need a revamp at some point and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out a style.
2. Can you share some of the resources you used to order material like tile, light and plumbing fixtures, etc?

1 - I already rebuilt 1,400ish sq ft in 2013-14 and have the luxury of having been here for 6 years, so I already have a master plan for the entire place. Not necessarily the details for the next phase beyond what is currently being worked, but the overall concept and a running list of ideas with references so I can revisit them later.

I looked on Houzz a lot but have very few pictures saved. More often I'd look at pictures from trade shows or other models by companies that make fixtures I like. If you like the way their model looks there's nothing wrong with copying their layout. For example if you image search Dornbracht CL.1 you'll find the picture that inspired our half bath.

The addition + kitchen is 'now' modern and the remainder is midcentury modern. Also, everything that has been built including floorplan changes is at least the 3rd revision of what we want to do, the first ideas were never that great, second is workable and the 3rd has the details corrected and refined.

2. Sure (specifics help since I used a lot of sources). Virtually everything was online. Floor tile and mosaic came from Wayfair which may be part of build.com. marble and subway tile from The Builder Depot. Plumbing fixtures, fans, towel racks and whatnot from build.com (they will give you a better price if you ask them after putting together a cart). Bedroom light from Design Within Reach. Pendant lighting... Not sure since that was kind of a commodity. Hardwood flooring came unfinished from flooring.org and the local place that did floors on the Kiawah HGTV dream house sanded and finished them with Rubio Monocoat. Kerdi and heated flooring stuff from Amazon, and the closet and vanity stuff we picked up from IKEA in Charlotte (amazingly affordable and quality is actually pretty good!). Doors came from Baird Brothers and I finished them, hardware is be Emtek and came from a place in NYC that takes all the Jewish holidays off. The half bath faucet and sink are by Dornbracht and Alape (owned by Dornbracht) and came from about the only place that sells these specific models.

Countertops, shower glass and the hamper were local.
The Fife
03_Aggie said:

So, the bedroom doorway picture with the wife and cat in the before and wife and kid in the after....intentional?

Yep! She was 4 months along when I took the first picture and the baby turned a year old today.
Claude!
The Fife said:

03_Aggie said:

Yep! She was 4 months along when I took the first picture and the baby turned a year old today.
Every time I see a picture that includes a baby where the baby is not the focus of the picture, I automatically caption it with "Baby included for scale." I have no idea why.
dubi
AG
Fantastic job.

I'm interested in the 1/2 bath lights over the counter. Are those what you mentioned as not sure of the source?
Fleen
Fife, where are you located?
BlueMiles
AG
Master bedroom ceiling looks like wood. Did you do that, or was it there?

Love what you did!
AggiePlaya
AG
Rule #1 compliance deserves a blue star sir
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
fabulous work, job completed, mess cleaned up...BRAVO!

too modern for me but fabulous work
The Fife
dubi said:

Fantastic job.

I'm interested in the 1/2 bath lights over the counter. Are those what you mentioned as not sure of the source?
Mrs Fife bought them - they're Lite Source Ice Cube mini pendants. Sold by a wide variety of places online. I also put a 4" Cree/Ecosmart recessed light in the ceiling to balance things out and warm the color up a bit.
The Fife
Fleen said:

Fife, where are you located?
Charleston, SC. Part of the reason why I bought nearly everything online and came up with my own ideas - if you want modern here you'll have to do it yourself or get beyond lucky and find bid on the one house for sale at the time that's already like this.
The Fife
BlueMiles said:

Master bedroom ceiling looks like wood. Did you do that, or was it there?

Love what you did!
Thanks! The master bedroom ceiling is just a tray ceiling - already there and it's just drywall. However, the family room and half bath ceilings are wood and I did that myself along with basically everything else.

The family room used to have an 8' ceiling but I raised it up to the rafters during the last project. The tongue and groove paneling came from Southern Lumber and Millwork. Lowes/HD also sell something with a nearly identical profile in the lumber section but you'll pay more and get shorter lengths than you would from a local lumberyard. It comes with a V groove and installs with a medium trim nailer about the same as hardwood flooring does only upside down. You'll need to paint it before installing of course.
The Fife
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09 said:

fabulous work, job completed, mess cleaned up...BRAVO!

too modern for me but fabulous work
At our old house which was slightly smaller we had zero mess anywhere. That's what going from modern ('90s) closets to 1950s storage does. The previous owners had this giant portal to Narnia 12 foot wide wardrobe in the master bedroom. That's the only reason I can think of why they put such a worthless closet in the addition they built in '03.

We've given away a lot and I've worked hard on adding storage so things are looking a lot better. I really forgot just how bad it all was beforehand until I pulled these pictures up.

Next project (current one I'm working on) we're going ~1960 vintage with the bedrooms and bathrooms so the next round of pics will be a lot less modern.
BlueMiles
AG
Thanks. I might have mis-remembered which room when I posted, but thank you for the details.
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
third coast.. said:

Where did the toilet in the master bath go?

Looks incredible

I completely forgot about the water closet. We had one at our old place and it was missed to say the least! No more yelling when you hear footsteps closing in on the bathroom.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.